PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I returned to the forums awhile ago, only to be absent again. I've been really busy at work. I work in a restaurant, and most days I'm doing two jobs at once. Which I don't mind, It makes the day go by faster. I've been helping with a lot of prep, and they want to have me start cooking, which I am hoping happens soon. I took a brief hiatus from cooking, but have recently rediscovered my love of it. I just bought two Japanese knives, slowly I'll expand my set(They aren't cheap so it may take awhile). Here is some pictures for you knife fans on here.
This is my Masakage Yuki Gyuto(Gyuto is a Japanese style Chefs Knive). It's handmade from stainless clad shirogami #2 steel, with a pear skin finish. The blade is about 9.5 inches long.

This is my Anryu petty knife. It's hand made from stainless clad Blue #2 steel, with a hammered finish. The blade is just under 3 inches long

This is a picture of them side by side

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Very nice blades. What type of restaurant do you work at?
P.S. Good to have you back again.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I work at The Mulefoot Gastropub in Imlay city, Michigan. We are a farm to table restaurant and were voted top 100 restaurants in America on open table.com. We also tied for first as best restaurant in the metro Detroit area.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice looking blades.
It's been a long time since I worked in that business (as a college student), but if you really want to cook -- beg for the chance and learn everything you can in the kitchen. However, if you want to be successful in your own restaurant some day, it ultimately comes down to basic business smarts -- how to streamline a menu, how to reduce the number of ingredients you're buying, storing, wasting, etc.
That's my unsolicited, half-baked advice, but welcome back!

Status
Not open for further replies.