PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
I have been trying to get my hands on a good calabash pipe and i found this one at marscigars- http://www.marscigars.com/b-ccalabash.aspx
I recieved it and i tried smoking it, but it has a really tight draw. it is like sucking peanut butter through a straw (and yes, this is even without any tobacco in it). is this normal for a pipe of this type? or did i get ripped off? It looks good, but it is hard to smoke and keep lit considering i have to use so much energy just to get any smoke out of it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Scotty,

It sounds to me (and looks) like the stem might have too sever a bend and the air hole has been pinched.

Before attempting to do something to it, I would see if you can get a church warden pipe cleaner through the stem. If you can the obstruction may be something caught in the draft hole between the mortis and the bowl OR ...

Possibly, the tenon itself while in the mortis may not line up properly and the air hole might be sealed off.

Here is a link that will help with the above terminology.

Pipe Anatomy

I hope this helps.

And again welcome.

PS Beautiful Pipe!

Don't get frustrated with it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Scotty, like Max says, there's something obstructing the pipe. Maybe a bug crawled in the stem. That pipe should draw nice and easy, like any other pipe.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I've heard a lot of people complain about the draw in that brand of particular pipe. I cannot speak from experience though, I never smoked one. Take a thin piece of bailin' wire and see if you can run it through from stem to bowl. Perhaps it is just a obstruction of some sort.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
If you haven't already, try this. Take a toothpick and stick it in the hole at the bottom of the bowl. Push it through till it doesn't contact anything.

Sometime Calabash pipes come with a piece of meerschaum blocking the hole from underneath.

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
i have no idea how this happeend, but just messing around with it, i had the stem off, trying to figure it out, and i blew into it, and big chunks of some stuff came out. i have no idea how they got there or what it weas, but it cleared up perfectly and now it smokes perfectly!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Glad you worked the bugs out! Enjoy!

ladybugs.gif

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
yeah, probably. either way, it smoked really well, however i would not be able to tell a good pipe from a bad pipe unless it was outrageously bad. i will say this- while smoking it, i never thought of anything i didnt like about it!
thank you for the welcome- i am fairly new to pipe smoking but i love it and it jsut feels natural to me now! my friends asked me why i never started sooner :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Scotty, that calabash was a particularly good choice for starters. You can smoke the hell out of them without the rest period alledgedly required of briar. So you don't have to commit to a large rotation of pipes. Also, your tongue will appreciate the natural cooling and drying of the smoke. To me, the only downside is that they're pretty much an armchair pipe.

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
i plan on bringing it to school sometime (i am in college), to show it off. i started bringing my pipe to school and since then, three other guys have broguth theirs too, including a newbie. it is a lot of fun to smoke and chat after a nasty exam.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wow, that is a really cool looking pipe Scotty!
I'm glad you got it working and the guys here were able to help.
I am also very pleased to hear you are taking it to school with you. We need more people smoking pipes in public.
Here's 2 articles you might want to check out:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/dont-leave-home-without-it-your-pipe/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/pipes-are-for-everyone/

Status
Not open for further replies.