PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Hello people, I have never smoked tobacco in a pipe, but I plan to in the very near future. I am almost ready to stain and buff my first creation from briar once I get the stem bent a little and my new tobacco arrives. I have been smoking cigarettes for 30 years or so and thought I would give the pipe thing a try. I have ordered 3 varieties, "frog morton cellar, half and half, and some sir walter raleigh, is any one of those the best for breaking in my new pipe? I realize now that I might need more than one pipe so I can get a rotation going and not over use the one I have made. Many more questions to come, but don't want to bore yall with those just yet, thank you....

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum bigsby! :puffy:
Use the search function and check out the beginners thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-smoking-basics-amp-beginner-questions
There's lots of good info all over this site and a great group of folks to help you on your journey! :)

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Thank you cobguy, been lurking here for a few days, trying to get my avatar going now, but yes, I have found much information in the beginners thread, thank you

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Welcome to the forum. Pipe smoking is a skill that takes allot of time and patients to get the hang of so don't get frustrated and quit. Their are a ton of how to videos and tobacco blend reviews on youtube watch some and keep practicing. I love Frog Morton Cellar, it is great for beginners, or experienced smokers. their is a great woody smell to it and the hints of the rum in the taste. it is a good smoke not going to give you tong bite (unless you puff like a chimney). If you ever have questions just ask their are allot of people here to help you. have fun with in and enjoy.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Thank you bulldogbriar for your input, I will admit I was drawn to the frog mortons mainly because they have a frog in thier logo,lol, I am a big fan of the "classic" pipe smell that I remember as a young child and hope to rekindle some of that

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Welcome to the forums. To answer your question, of the three tobaccos you mentioned, I would choose Sir Walter to break in a new pipe. The reason is because it's the least flavored and more likely to build a good, neutral cake.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
Welcome onboard! Personally I think compared to the tobacco type you use to break in a pipe, you should be more focused on your pack and your smoking pattern to break in a pipe better. Load your pipe half full, or even 1/3 full for the first time and then 2/3, 3/4...until full pack. Also, you'd need to pay attention to the pattern you smoke as the new briar is more delicate so you don't want to puff it like a chimney and get it burnt, right?

Also I noticed you made your first pipe yourself! That is simply amazing! Maybe a pic about it?

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Thank You Jarhead, tomorrow I will try to get some pics up, woodworking wasn't foreign to me so I might be advanced allready,lol, but anyway I will get some pics,. Thank you!
I am curious about the corncobs too,ty

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cobs give you a lot of bang for the buck. I avoided them for years as I thought briar was more sophisticated, more elegant, which although true doe not address how well cobs smoke compared to their minimal cost. I can be very forgiving about the shank entering the bowl in a cob. It seems primitive, but I've not seen any briar that wasn't shoddy at for a price usually under $10.00.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I suggest that you resist the urge to buy an expensive pipe for a loonngg time. For the first year or more, spend your money on various tobaccos and learn how to smoke and learn what you like. Finally, your smoking technique and tobacco preferences should steer you toward fine briar pipes that you'll enjoy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.