PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Being a fan of Wilke tobaccos, I spied this oldie but goodie on ebay and had to have it. Of course I am a big fan of the classic billiard shape, and from the age on the briar and the style of the stem, I am guessing it's a 1940s, 50s pipe, but who knows?
Figuring the value/price was tricky. I had checked out what prices the Wilke Pipeworks website was charging for Wilke estates (some nearing $100), so I decided to use that as my gauge. It was holding at under $4 for most of it's time on ebay, then at the end, a flurry of 16 bids came in. Of course I sniped at the end when the bidding had reached $20 or so. My bid won at $48, which I am happy to pay.
wilke.jpg

wilke2.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Six: I probably told you that my friend and I hung out at Wilke's as teenagers. It was run by two old ladies who inherited it from their father. The pipes were unfinished Macedonian briar. When the Vermont store bought their stock, the pipes were erroneously waxed. The new proprietor did not know that they were supposed to be unfinished. The silver was added later, possibly because of a cracked shank. There were no silver band pipes in that store. Wilkes originally went for a top price of $100, which was like $1500 today. I think they started at $15, but could be wrong.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys for the well wishes.
Foggy: Thanks for that great info. I can't believe they were so expensive back in the day!
I am hoping you're wrong about the band (tho I suspect you're correct). The seller stated that it didn't appear to be a repair band - we'll see.
The stem lines up with it precisely, so if it is a replacement band, must be a replacement stem too.
band.jpg

Will be interesting to see how it looks once received.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
When the Vermont store bought their stock, the pipes were erroneously waxed. The new proprietor did not know that they were supposed to be unfinished.
That would be Elliott Nachwalter and Carole Burns. Fascinating bit of history, Foggy. Do you know any other bits of info about the Nachwalter/Burns purchase of the store, their tenure there, etc? I'm a collector of Nachwalter's work and I'm always interested to know more about him and his career.
BTW, wax or no wax, it's a nice pipe you have there, Six.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Six: I have been looking at the Wilke pipes on Carol's website. I just haven't pulled trigger yet, trying to save up a bit.
You got a beaut. I know it is going to smoke like a charm.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just joined, but was looking around and saw this thread. I really like E. Wilke pipes, own quite a few. Part of a bygone era. Wilke pipes from the '50 were marked E.WILKE NYC in one line, I'm not sure when this changed, but later pipes were marked E.WILKE over NYC. Every single one I own is a great smoker.
Dave

Aug 14, 2012
I went to check the stamping on my one remaining Wilke and it was completely worn off from all those years of handling. Not a trace of it. $20 got you a very excellent Wilke back in the 50s. That is what I paid for mine new. It should have been marked higher. The grading was inconsistent. It was as good as their $100 pipes. I was offered $100 for it used by a pipe shop in the early 60s. Glad I kept it. Overall the best smoker I ever had, but the shank was too thin and it cracked early. I paid $3 to have a silver band put on it, which has held the shank together. Checked the check. It turned out to be silver plated copper. No, I don't know anything about the purchasers of their stock and name. I spoke to the lady who runs the shop that has them. She is the person who waxed the pipes. I should mention what a great place the original Wilke pipe shop was. The Wilke sisters were almost like grandmothers to us. Warm friendly women. And the store reeked of history. It could not be possible today with the very high Manhattan rents, to keep a good sized store, on the most expensive part of Madison Ave, just to sell one brand of unfinished pipes.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
45$ for a Wilke N.Y.C. is a really good deal. Especially since these pieces are quite unique .... Algerian Root Briar, and hand made by Joe Cartigano. I own a beautiful Canadian shaped Wilke N.Y.C., and my motivation to get that pipe was mainly the same as yours: being a big fan of the Wilke tobaccos. :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was offered $100 for it used by a pipe shop in the early 60s.
Those prices are insane - so I think I must have gotten a steal! Thanks for the history.
Just joined, but was looking around and saw this thread. I really like E. Wilke pipes, own quite a few. Part of a bygone era. Wilke pipes from the '50 were marked E.WILKE NYC in one line, I'm not sure when this changed, but later pipes were marked E.WILKE over NYC. Every single one I own is a great smoker.
Dave
Welcome Dave and thanks for this info.
45$ for a Wilke N.Y.C. is a really good deal.
Thanks for that feedback hfearly - appreciate it!

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Six where on eBay are you finding these beauties? Every time I am there I can't find anything close to these. And Congrats on the pipe it is a real real real beautiful pipe.

~Ron

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot guys! The pipe arrived today and came in excellent condition. Just finished sterilizing it and will try it tomorrow.
Six where on eBay are you finding these beauties? Every time I am there I can't find anything close to these. And Congrats on the pipe it is a real real real beautiful pipe.
Thanks rmason - I actually just searched for Wilke estate pipes. There are certain American brands that different people on this forum have pointed out are excellent values due to their not being well known, like Tinderbox pipes, Barclay-Rex, etc.
And of course older Kaywoodie and Grabows. When I first started this great hobby of ours, I didn't give these older American pipes enough credit - I finally realized that one can have a very nice collection of excellent smokers without breaking the bank.
Good luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wilke pipes have also intrigued me. I love anything with a history of NYC and will have to find a shape that suits me some day. One of my pipe buddies gave me a sealed jar of "Wilkes Best Make" from 2008, great stuff too.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Have you picked up a Bertram yet? If not check this out they definitely deserve a place in any American Classics collection.

http://www.streetsofwashington.com/2012/01/bertrams-pipe-shop-on-14th-street.html

Status
Not open for further replies.