PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Becareful when clicking links. I visited 2 pages yesterday here and another pipe page and clicked on links on both of them and had something called a browser hijack happen. I dont know what page had the link that caused this amd the only way I cought it was when I went to paypal and got a popup box saying for securty reasons they wanted to verfy the account and wanted info including my card number pin ssn mothers madien name and dl info. I did not put in the info and called paypal and they advised me it was not them and I clicked on a link that hijacked my browser.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I auto update daly. I had a friend who works on comps remove it.

It was a link in a post I wish I knew more.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
What browser do you use? Try updating the browser as well, I have not experienced these issues, and lurk here often, you might have a trojan that has infected your browser.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Good advice from everybody so far, keeping your virus scan software definitions religiously up to date, as well as making sure that your browser is current will usualy save your privacy, until it doesn't.

Which is why I do 99% of my web browsing in my iPad, and sometimes a Mac. I used to be a die-hard Windows guy, used to build and repair PC's for well over a decade and a half, but I just got tired of the unending headache & hassle. :x

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The reason I use Firefox, avoids most of the IE problems.

Virus Protection: Kaspersky

Malware: CCleaner, free version, very effective.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Ditch Windows and go with a LINUX based OS like Ubuntu.
I actually second that. I use Ubuntu at work just because it's not affected by the things that mess up Windows. I would love to use Ubuntu at home, but the wife won't stand for it. So I use Windows 7 at home. I do use IE9, fully patched system, and MS Security Essentials. That and a good dose of common sense when it comes to surfing the web.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
2 points to make-
1. As stated above, try a Linux OS and you will never have to worry about malware/viruses again (i recommend Linux Mint; just as user friendly as Ubuntu but somehow more stable)
2. Try installing an add on called "NoScript" NoScript ; this provides fantastic click-jacking and anti-xss protection for all Mozilla-based browsers; plugins, Java, Javascript, flash, etc...will only be enabled if you permit it for each site you visit. Can recommend this highly

Status
Not open for further replies.