PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Kevin, here's a thought I had. Sorry if it's not a good one...... they all can't be winners.

With smokers (be it cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah or whatever) looking as bad people by some (i.e. the anti-smoking people who get all the press), how about doing something to help change the image of smokers? With all the tornadoes that have totally destroyed Southern Indiana and Kentucky, why not have a fundraiser raffle?

I would donate a tin of tobacco or something.

Just a thought.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Donating tobacco to someone who lost their home...
I don't see that helping.
Maybe a monetary donation would be of more help.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
How about a Raffle. See if one of the sponsors would put up a pipe and tin and we could buy raffle tickets to win the pipe and tin. All procededs of course to go to the disaster survivors.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Might be a good idea for the future. But unless the press is going to pick it up only a few would really knew what happened lol.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I used to do a lot of PR, it's not hard to get the press involved especially if it's a good chunk of cash. So it would probably have to be an awesome pipe and a heck of a lot of bacci to get the donation up there. Maybe a Boswell and then maybe 2 lbs of the tobacco of your choice.
Or if a bunch of guys from PM.COM went out and pitched a hand...that always gets press.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Goodwill of Southern Indiana already have setup a relief fund. All we would need to do is sell raffle tickets for a donated pipes and baccy box, then send them ALL the money. We then (Kevin) sends out a press release, with the names of the pipe and baccy donations, which group of people did this (forums), how much money was sent, how it got started and there you have it, exposure. Maybe we could tap some of the other forums and clubs for support. Smokers united! Done correctly and quickly, this is not a bad idea.
1. Call Goodwill

2. Get sponsors

3. Contact pipe clubs, forums

4. Sell tickets

5. Do raffle

6. Press release
Simple

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
It really isnt a bad idea, even the smallest amount of money does help people. But in all honestly maybe $5 for one $10 for three tickets, or something, you probably could raise a decent chunk of change, and $$$ changes peoples minds pretty fast

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Here's a thought. Are you trying to use tornado victims to further your own agenda i.e. creating a positive public image for pipe smoking? Is self interest a good reason to help someone? Would you like the pipe smoking community to be characterized by self-interest and fallacious humanitarianism?
These are rhetorical questions by the way. The answers should be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.