PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody 's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here is a passage I've always enjoyed from "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran:
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?

And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."

But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Many years ago my wife and I became the legal guardians of a young handicapped boy.As part of the process I was required to see a physiologist.After about 10 minutes of explaining to her why we wanted to do this I broke down and started crying like a baby.When I got myself back together I told her that I was sorry.She told me that I should never be sorry for careing.Then she said that those who aren't able to care are dangerous.When I asked her what this was all about she said that she had to know that I really did care.It's been my experience that the more we care the more we can hurt,but the joy makes it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.