PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyle37

Lurker
Oct 8, 2016
So I've been smoking for some time now and quite enjoying it, but lately my girlfriend has been complaining about my breath. Its gotten to the point that after every time I have a pipe I have to brush my teeth. Now what I'm wondering is this just that my girlfriend has taken to not liking me to smoke or that I should take more attention in the cleaning of my pipes. I usually clean my pipe after every smoke, but don't do the alcohol method, is this something I should start doing after every pipe? What's your advice?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Deep cleaning the mortise might be a place to start. Coffee grounds left to dry in the chamber for a few days is a gentle way to mildly sweeten the pot.
Good luck!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I wash my beard and moustache after I smoke anything with Latakia and brush my teeth after smoking anything.

lyle37

Lurker
Oct 8, 2016
Well I've just cleaned and put salt and alcohol in one of the pipes I smoke daily, so we will see what that does... as for a change in tobacco, I usually smoke several different blends which she approves of first.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I need to wash my beard and 'stache no matter what I've smoked because Shannen hates they way they all smell.
Sometimes that's all I need to do, but only if I've been smoking outside and spent a significant period of time outside after finishing the pipe or cigar. If I've been marinating in the smoke or don't have a chance to air-out a bit, I'll take a quick shower before spending time with the lady.
The interesting part about me airing-out: if she knows I smoked earlier in the day, then she claims to smell it and I need to go shower. If she didn't see me or wasn't told, she almost never mentions a smell. Last time I was in the city I'd go for a walk with a cigar just about every day. I'd keep going away from the house until the cigar was done, then turn around and walk back when I'd finished it. These were not cigarillos, but they weren't full cigars either, so it was at most a 90 minute walk. (Nat Sherman .5s) Anyhow, I didn't tell her even once that I'd gone for a smoke that day. I smoked 15 or 20 cigars this way, she only said she smelled it one time.
I now realize that very little of what I wrote is pertinent. Sorry.
Wash face, brush teeth. It is a small price to pay for being able to enjoy tobacco and your lady friend.

Dec 28, 2015
A lot depends on what blends you are smoking. As long as I'm smoking Va or VaPers I am usually safe but I try to avoid Lat blends if I am going to be in very close quarters with my wife. Not to beat a dead horse but Penzance provides a severe case of turd tongue. I once tried to kiss my wife four hours after smoking a bowl of Penzance - brushing my teeth and using mouthwash. She had the most adverse reaction I have ever seen. I try to be more careful about tobacco selection based on the circumstances now. Just my 2 cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Everyone has to figure out their own relationships. Complaints about ones breath can be legitimate, might even signal a loving concern. This is way too subtle for an up or down vote. But about the breath. This could be a body chemistry problem, based on the blends you smoke, or based on some other process with your digestion or gums, that has little to do with the tobacco. Maybe not immediately, but when you go to the dentist, you might have him/her look at your gums. A question: Do you have any aftertaste or off tastes when you smoke as compared to when you don't? I've had problems with taste and pipe smoking, in the distant past. I think certain flavoring in aromatics, over time, give me distinct taste problems. Meantime, try a milder and/or simpler blend. Sometimes a plain burley or a plain Virginia will give you less trouble this way. I'd try a few things and see what helps. Treat your relationship, for now, as a separate issue. If your woman friend finds a number of other complaints unrelated to pipes, then maybe it's time for counseling (if it's worth it to you) or a parting of the way. But not on the basis of this one complaint.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
My wife has told me she doesn't like the smell of burley blends. She doesn't know they're burleys, but if I smoke one in the house (Lunchtime Blues, Jackknife Plug, etc.) she'll say something. I moved all burley based blends to the shop, problem solved. She is not a smoker, but has tried my pipes on occassion, and prefers latakia blends. As you know, harmony is important while living with somebody or being in a relationship. Sometimes it is just better to yield. Choosing a nonliving "thing" over a person seems never really seems like the correct answer to me. Besides all of that, nothing bad ever really came from brushing one's teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.