Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Just A Pipe

(25 posts)
  1. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

How many of you folks have only ever smoked a pipe? So never been a cigarette or cigar smoker, just picked up the pipe and that was it?

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, thats me. Have tried cigars since, and have enjoyed them, just not as much as a pipe...

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

Unless you count the cigarette I stole from my grandparents when I was in like 5th grade and tried to take a puff of. Then the pipe was my first actual smoking experience. I have since tried cigars and also like them as well.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

Never smoked in my life and I just picked up a pipe about a month ago.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing less than 15% of us took that route. It's an interesting question, but I am too lazy to set up a poll.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only been a pipe smoker, but I tried a cigar before smoking a pipe.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, I'm not a pipe purest. Did cigarettes being naughty when real young, like six. Avoided smoking until college when it was just occasional Hav-a-Tampa cigars. Mostly non-smoking in the Navy, thus evading people who chain smoked bummed cigarettes. Did do pipes because I didn't want to imitate my dad or my professors.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I could turn back the clock I would only be a pipe smoker. At 72 yrs old I'm set in my ways and enjoy all forms of legal tobacco use, but mostly smoke a pipe.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

Honestly, the tobacco pipe was probably the LAST thing I tried smoking. Years of cigarettes, cigars, drugs of various kinds...

In fact, my initial experience with a corncob pipe was swiping one from a Walgreens (sorry Walgreens!) and smoking weed in it before an 8th grade field trip. In case you were curious, good ole' Missouri Meerschaum does fine in that regard as well.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with pipes, and it has been my mainstay for over 40 years. I have probably smoked about 20 cigars in all that time, and two cigarettes. Hated the cigarettes. I was lucky, and met a pipe guy early on and learned about good pipes and tobacco.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe only. 57 years worth.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  12. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I wish I could say I was a pipe only guy but cigars were a lot easier to obtain and smoke when I was younger.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Skoal, Copenhagen, Camel Lights, Marlboro Lights, all kinds of cigars. Then the pipe....

Now, I smoke only the pipe. Usually, only at night after work and on the weekends more frequently .

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Started with a pipe in '91 when I was 17 and now use tobacco in just about every form.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

Never smoked anything until I was about 45. I thought I might like to take up the cigar, and I ordered some online. I tried one, and probably only smoked 1/4 of it. It did not agree with me at all, and I threw the rest out.

But I still liked the smell of tobacco and the idea of occasional smoking, so I ordered a pipe and a tin of Peterson's Luxury Blend. Although my first couple of attempts to smoke it were disasters, I did like the smell and taste of the smoke and I kept up with it. Now, a few years later, I sort of know what I'm doing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. tabakpfeife

tabakpfeife

Login to Send PM

Just a pipe for me; never smoked cigarettes. Probably smoked a dozen cigars in my life.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have smoked cigarettes, chewed tobacco, sniffed snuff, cigars, and the pipe. The pipe and cigars is the only form I enjoy these days.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 week ago #
  18. mindglue

mindglue

Login to Send PM

Never smoked tobacco, picked up a pipe at age 53, 4 years ago. Since that smoked 4 or 5 cigars (not my cup of tea)

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Never smoked cigarettes; for many years smoked cigarillos or the occasional cigar when on holiday (aka vacation) or at Christmas but not on a regular basis. Took up pipe smoking 2 years ago. Still smoke the occasional cigar.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started out on cigs ... still smoke them on occasion, I may buy a pack or two a month. The pipe is something I smoke almost every day, if I have the time, struggling with cigarettes. I must admit though, they were my first and longest affair with tobacco. I also may smoke roughly a box of cigars per year, and maybe 10 packs of Garibaldis/Toscanos per year.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 week ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

justanotherdude

Login to Send PM

In the latter half of my 50's and have smoked A cigarette and A cigar before picking up the pipe. Can't stand the smell of cigarettes and most cigars. Now I just need to figure out what the h@## I'm doing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. danimalia

danimalia

Login to Send PM

In the latter half of my 50's and have smoked A cigarette and A cigar before picking up the pipe. Can't stand the smell of cigarettes and most cigars. Now I just need to figure out what the h@## I'm doing.

It takes time, and fortunately, lots of practice. Assuming you're enjoying yourself, keep at it!

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Smoked nothing but pipes since 1978. When you start with the best why try the rest?

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 1 week ago #
  24. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Started with cigars, took a gander at cigarettes and was not impressed - transition to pipes was all too easy.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

When I first smoked a pipe I'd never smoked a cigarette, and I still never have. I would consider smoking a cigarette in my pipe & gladly smoke rolling tobacco in it, but I don't have access to any cigarettes worth trying that with & cigarettes are prohibitively expensive anyway. I would maybe do it with those Eastern Bloc papirosi cigarettes to get the Joe Stalin experience, but we don't have those in my country. Apart from smoking a pipe I also smoke cigars (Italian, Dutch, Cuban, Nicaraguan etc) and take nasal snuff on a regular basis. I've chewed tobacco (specifically ropes/twists) but I've never felt it's worth it and I don't like spitting. I'd rather just smoke it, so if someone gave me American-style redman tobacco I'd chew a bit then try to smoke the rest.

So about 70% of the time I smoke a pipe, 20% cigars (mostly Dutch) and 10% snuff.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   marc75, ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra