Just a little lakeland, but not too much.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm going through a tobacco hoarding/cellaring phase right now and I'm looking for good blends with a a little (milder) lakeland scent to them.

Not too much mind you, I find it to be refreshing and a nice change, preferably no stronger than Condor (which I love).

Can anyone give me some suggestions for my next TAD purchase? Much appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could always stock up the strong ones, and cut them with a milder Virginia. I went 50/50 Ennerdale and Aylesbury Luxury Flake, and it was very nice!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most of the non-Lakelands, being processed in the same factory where they spray The Lakeland Essence(tm) with a fire hose, have a slight Lakeland pre-ghost to them. For example, this batch of Dark Birdseye emits wafting poltergeists of Lakeland intermittently when smoked.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G&H best brown#2, bob's chocolate flake, and Kendal flake is what you're looking for

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Dark Flake Scented isn't too strong as far as Lakeland essence, but the underlying tobacco is one of the strongest as far as nicotine content.
I've also heard that Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Glengarry Flake is quite mild as Lakelands go (honey dew essence), but haven't actually tried it.

cullansghost

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
When I want a milder Lakeland I like Glengarry Flake or Kendal Flake. I also enjoy Brown Flake Scented alot. I have also found that, while not a Lakeland, Tsuge's First Days of Spring is a fine substitute (for me) with the benefit of having Perique in the mix.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Most of the non-Lakelands, being processed in the same factory where they spray The Lakeland Essence(tm) with a fire hose, have a slight Lakeland pre-ghost to them.
+1 ... GH Dark Flake Unscented is lightly scented.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I will confirm that Dark Flake Scented would be a nice one for you. It's not too heavy on the florals but the bergamot is ramped up s little... It's absolutely stellar. Another one that is now a favorite of mine is Revor Plug, this is one I plan to hoard as well.
Best Brown #2 is good but definitely not stronger than Condor, I would say it's quite a bit lighter. Scotch Flake is another good one I would recommend.
Oh and don't forget to try St. Bruno, it's perdy damn tasty, very similar to Condor.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Ok so far I've got:
1. Glengarry Flake

2. Kendall Flake

3. Dark Flake Scented

4. Peterson Hyde Park

5. Best Brown Flake

6. Bob's Chocolate Flake

7. Tsuge First Days of Spring

8. Scottish Flake

9. Revor Plug
I already have about 4 tins of St. Bruno, so I should be good on it for a while.

Is Revor Plug only offered in the UK?

Thanks for the input guys, let me know if you think of anymore.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
A blend not on this list is H+G's Rich Dark Honeydew. It was created to be what Gallaher's original sweet dark honey dew was... While I never tried it, Pipestud gives a good review of both... It's only been available at Mars Cigars and (I can't remember the other place). It's not cheap.
This is truly a stronger Lakeland... but by no means harsh... it's exquisite... and I try always to have 3-4 ounces on hand.
If you like Lakeland blends and haven't tried this one, it should be #1 on your list.
Another blend not mentioned but should be is: Peretti's Original Blend. I have often been directed to it... I bought a BIG tin and I enjoy it a lot -
I have tried the others mentioned except Condor, Peterson, Revor Plug and Tsuge.
Funny thing is... I found this thread because I am trying to be more conscious of not starting repetitive threads... I wanted to ask the same question...
I want to find something more like Rich Dark Honeydew, where the Lakeland nails you... but nothing quite compares... I've tried all of the H+G blends... and best brown #2, Kendall, Bob's and Ennerdale contain components, they aren't what I imagined Gallaher's to be...
Is there anything else out there, not by H+G or SG that will hit me with strong lakeland?
here's where you can buy RDH or read reviews:
In stock here!
http://www.marscigars.com/gh-richdarkhoneydew.aspx
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2884/gawith-hoggarth-co-rich-dark-honeydew
also available at some UK vendors...

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
@lasttango, I read up on both of these blends on TobaccoReviews.com and it sounds like H+G's Rich Dark Honeydew or Peretti's Original Blend will be a bit stronger in the Lakeland scent than what I am looking for. I like the idea of the Lakeland scent be applied conservatively, so that it is in the background. I have tried the stronger Lakeland scented blends and they leave that strong, perfumey aftertaste and I don't care for that. If it's any stronger than Condor, then I probably would pass on it.

Thanks for your input though.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Pappy, now you're talking, I like just about any blend with rum, so it gets added to the list, thanks.
1.Glengarry Flake

2. Kendall Flake

3. Dark Flake Scented

4. Peterson Hyde Park

5. Best Brown Flake

6. Bob's Chocolate Flake

7. Tsuge First Days of Spring

8. Scottish Flake

9. Revor Plug

10. Kendal Rum Flake

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I've been wanting to try Rich Dark Honeydew for a while now. Sounds like a great smoke.

Markthelad GH Louisina may be of interest to you.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
GH Kendal Flake is great, but it's loaded with various flavors, from musk to rose. I think SG Kendal CREAM Flake is the one you want for lighter Lakeland flavors.
Also, SG Best Brown Flake has no detectable flavorings (to me) - it's just a brown VA flake. Best Brown #2, from GH, though, has a touch of essence of something added to it. One of my favorites and definitely fits the bill for "Light Lakeland."

Status
Not open for further replies.