PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I have a hand full of junk pipes, no names and mis-matched stems to pipes. Some smoke really good and others keep my teeth from grinding. Well, today I'm in my shop making a corner cabinet, have it setting on a couple saw horses. I have my pipe in an ashtray on the workbench. Moving this heavy cabinet around, one clamp lets go. Now that piece of white oak couldn't just fall to the floor, No it has to do a twist around and go over two feet and fall on my pipe! Broke the blasted stem off flush with a piece inside the shank. Garbage can! Luckily I own some junk pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That pipe has fallen in the line of duty and is worthy of our ongoing respect. Any pipe that smokes well is no junk.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Good reason to smoke a "shop pipe" in the shop! I've got a couple old timers I couldn't adequately restore that I use. One is an old Yello-Bole that looks like it was pulled out of the fires of Mt Doom. Smokes great though.

For some reason my pipes tend to get killed when I am working on vehicles. Whether it is laying it down where the hood meets and Dropping the hood on it, dropping it on the garage floor, or leaving it on the ground while crawling under the vehicle and stepping on it latter, engine work is bad for my pipes' health. Junk pipes? Eh, they're work pipes. Hats off to the work pipes of the world, cannon fodder of the working man. Salute!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I do the same, or I smoke a cob in the shop. Sorry to hear that one of your pipes bit the dust but at least it wasn't a high end pipe!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Cosmic, I am thankful that the bowl was not filled with that good tobacco you sent me. I smoke odd mix of cheap convenience store tobacco while working. I also smoke a short style pipe. Helps keep me from banging the pipe into a piece of wood and jarring the teeth. Okay, I'll change my "junk pipes" to work pipes. I don't own the type of hi-end pipes you folks here have. I'm only a poor coffinmaker and business is dead!!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 for cobs as work or shop pipes. No weeping & gnashing of teeth if one is lost, broken, or misplaced (for months as I once did). Most can be set out of the way on a flat surface without a pipe holder/stand (which is how I often misplace them). Also, windcaps fit almost all MM cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.