PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Have any of you ever heard of a pipe stem made of a material called Juma? I just commissioned my second pipe from Jesse Jones, a Bent Dublin with a 1/2 to 3/4 bend. Jesse said that, on occasion, over many years, the stem on a bent pipe will straighten out some if it is made of Cumberland. He said he wanted to use a material that is softer than acrylic but harder than Ebonite. "Sounds good!" said I. So I looked this stuff up. It is used in billiard cues as inlays and ferrules or handle material. not sure what other uses it has, but I've never seen a Juma pipe stem. Can't wait to try it! IMO Jesse makes the best pipes around and in perfect "classical" shapes. Here are a couple of links I found, if anyone is the least bit interested.
http://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=322&ITEM_ID=6226
https://www.elforyn.de/en/juma/snake-dragon/ivory-snake/1648/juma-square-rods

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The material looks very interesting, but about the Cumberland straightening? Never heard of that. All it is is colored vulcanite/ebonite, and I have several pipes that are 80+ years old with bent vulcanite stems that seem to have their proper curve. Very curious. Either way, love the look of the Juma.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've used it on a couple of pipes...Not my favorite material- it tends to be quite brittle when machining....

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
but about the Cumberland straightening? Never heard of that
He didn't say all, or most, or even many. Just that he has seen it happen, and he wants his pipes to last until my grandchildren take them over. I'm all for that! Besides, now I'm curious to try this material. He said he has only used it a few times, but thinks it will be perfect for this pipe. I have been in love with a pipe on his site that sold almost a year ago. It's a tan blast straight Dublin with a creamy (buttery?) colored stem and a Blood Wood inlay. Couldn't resist it anymore, so I asked him to make me a bent version! Here is the straight.
UwDGsWT.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
How is it as a finished product, though?
It looks good finished, but I don't like the mouth feel...(I also don't like acrylic)...have always found cumberland or ebonite more comfortable...

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I like the mouth feel although still think that acrylic and Ebonite take on a shine better.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I have played with juma before. I think it is pretty comfortable. The pipe I have did lose a little of its bend though.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes, I had a J&J pipe with a juma stem. I liked the way it looked and the mouth feel as well, but it was also a thin stem, small tip, which I prefer. So I'm not sure how it would be in a larger thicker stem. But it shines and behaves under heat just like ebonite from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.