tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. That's what it's all about. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The American Revolution is remembered in a somewhat ceremonious way, gents in powdered wigs drafting documents on parchment. It was nasty and gritty as any war. The British army executed revolutionaries by bayonet and all the the leadership were threatened by hanging if they lost the war. General Washington had a magnificent home on the Potomac and a settled life and career and bet it all on a proposed nation state as yet unfounded. He could have easily settled on grants of territory from the crown and a territorial governorship or similar honorific. Independence Hall in Philadelphia was a sauna, and the community bell was cracked. Liberty was an iffy proposition in 1776. The rebellious farmers were good shots with a musket and learned from the local tribes to use the cover and terrain and don't march around in columns so much.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The Revolunary War was a War fought on different places, not just on the East Coast as most people think. The British had Forts at Fort Bute, now Manchac, on Lake Pontichtrain, also at Baton Rouge. Governor Galvez commissioned Oliver Pollock to form an army, Acadians, now called Cajuns, free men of color, Spaniards, And German, overran Fort Bute, denying the British access to the Mississippi River, they then marched and took over the Fort at Baton Rouge. So the Revolutionary War encompassed not just the East Coast.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Today, I started making some larger tampers. Then I decided to enjoy a pipe for the 4th. I choose Tuskegee Airman from C&D in a Polinski pipe. The airmen were a brave group of African American fighter pilots, that flew in WWII. The Polish have always supported the USA.
https://imgur.com/a/HkyLzZG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad, absolutely! It wasn't just New England by any stretch. Long live our Constitutional Democracy. It's a civic experiment useful for cultures far afield who'll never follow it to the letter but borrow prolifically. Others love it or hate it, but all observe it closely a carefully for better and worse. It is the civic experimental kitchen for the world.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love the idea of this country. A constitutional republic that has endured quite a lot. I wouldn't have spent 22 years defending the constitution if I didn't. It is deeply troubling to me that there are groups at work that are dedicated to linking love of country to something insidious.
Happy Birthday, USA. This We'll Defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.