PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorybiker

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Forgive me if I duplicating info, but I searched & did not see this product being discussed.
As you MD pipe smokers are aware, Everclear 190 was banned in MD a few months ago. I stopped at my local liquor store tonight and the shop owner showed me a product made & sold in MD. It is called Club 190 Grain Alcohol. It is 189 proof or 94.5% ethanol. It appears that a Baltimore-based distillery poked a finger in the eye of the General Assembly, & I applaud the distillery for doing so. Tonight, I purchasee a 1.75L for roughly $33, including tax. I suppose this means no more rides to Delaware for some of us.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
At least you can get it. In Pa we need a doctor's prescription to buy Everclear at the state stores. So I bought mine in Delaware, an enlightened state

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Oddly enough it's available in Connecticut, so I asked the liquor store owner why he had so many bottles of it and what it's used for. He told me that Connecticut's large Italian population buys it to make limoncello. Now there's a treat for you: smoking your pipe while sipping a glass of ice cold limoncello!

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
I live in PA where it is also unavailable. That said, a little ingenuity, some copper, and a little bit of heat makes for an unlimited supply of DIY Everclear for degreasing purposes of course.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
papipeguy, I walked into the State store here in PA and purchased a fifth (750 ml) bottle of Everclear, no problem. I even checked the LCB website for an inventory check. :nana: See you at LVPC tomorrow?
Dave

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
You can get something known as "medical grade grain alcohol" which is the same thing. It's used for making tinctures.

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
I had a nip of the degreaser tonight along with a Boswell pipe and some Cupcake in honor of this thread.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Wow -- I had no idea that Ever Clear (what we call PGA) is illegal in some states. Heck, I don't even drink but I keep a bottle around the house for various things (cleaning pipes, off course, being one of those tasks).

victorybiker

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
bigjohn > No degreaser for me tonight, but I did load one of my Boswell pipes with some McClelland Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue. Love those pipes and the Balkan stuff. Just visited Boswell's on Saturday. That store is just enormously cool!
Yea, doctorthoss, the nanny states can never ban too much. Cradle to grave, they have to look out for our personal well-being because we're too stupid to do so. Maryland is the worst, and I'm trying to flee ASAP. That's why when the liquor company in Baltimore County came up with 189 Proof, I got a great big laugh out of it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I paid $15.00 a few months ago for a bottle at a state run liquor store here in Oregon. The proprietor informed me he had to register all sales with Homeland Security since it can be used as an accelerant or an explosive device. Hard to believe, but that's exactly what he said. I'm probably on a no-fly list now. 8O

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I like bigjohn's still... I mean, style.
No Everclear here either. Prrrrobably for the best, actually. A city with this many colleges that riot now and then is not necessarily the best place for it...

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
you can buy everclear in pa but its not the good stuff. they only sell 151 proof here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I live in MD but gave up on Everclear. I didn't find a noticeable difference between it and isopropyl alcohol (91 proof). But, I do love that someone exploited a loop-hole!

victorybiker

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
For anyone in the Baltimore area, I just purchased 2 more bottles of Club 190 at Midway Liquors on Rt.40 this evening. At the price of $25 each for 1.75L, that's the cheapest I've seen it.
As far as using other alcohols, and from my pharmacology/toxicology background, I choose to use only the most consummable variety. It's simply a safety issue for me personally. Plus, I might want a swig.
Hear, hear to ae1pt!

victorybiker

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
jitterbugdude, it's in the bourbon section, first shelf off the floor, (and below the Jim Beam, I think)
you're welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.