PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2016
I have three 2016 cookes, and I noticed on his website he has some info on his grading but he doesn't mention the A after his OKF grade. It's stamped OKFA on two of them, the other is OGF. Does anyone know about this. Also just talk about Cooke pipes and you general thoughts on them. Fred Hanna wrote a good article on jt Cooke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a fan of his work. His stems are acrylic and considered fairly fat and not comfortable. I like vulcanite stems that are nice and flat and fit my teeth just right. I do love his blast work and his shaping but that one last inch makes too big a difference to me to ever buy one.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I tried a commission with him. I wanted a Diplomat with his sig blast. He refused to do it, told me to pick from the pipes he's already done. Then, a few days ago, I see he made a Prince, the Diplomats cousin, for the first time. Love the guys work, but not a fan of the man.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
His blast work is immediately recognizable, that is for certain. At his current price range, its unlikely I'll take the plunge to test one. Lets see your collection!

Dec 24, 2012
I have a ton of respect for JT Cooke and am a fan of the man. He has always been exceptionally nice to me and, in fact, when I bought a pipe from him at the Chicago show a couple of years ago he invited me to the tent with him to smoke a bowl and shoot the shit. I realize he can come across as a bit gruff, but so can I, so who the hell am I to judge.
By the way, I don't find his bits too thick for the most part, but if you have a dainty little mouth with brittle teeth then I can see that being an issue for you. Yes, I have one chubby number with a tapered stem and it is a bit tough to clench but I have a few similar pipes from other makers that are the same in this respect. I do love the lucite that he uses, which he makes himself and which is much softer than normal lucite. He also has the best pipe pouches in the business, but I digress, lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, let me borrow one of your cookes and I let you know if his stems are worthy of my consideration. With the metal jaws that you sport, you would never be able to tell if he had a nice stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.