PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Obviously I can use a computer to some extent. That's were it ends. My cell phone is 13 years old, built like a brick outhouse with no extra buttons. My Garvin "road bitch" is 7 years old with no update (I hate it when she says, "Re-calculating").
Was I out of my mind to order an Android 10" tablet with all the bells and whistles????? It was a moment of madness, with a couple of beers thrown in. Those shop at home stations get me everytime.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I love my tablet. I use it for reading while I am on the treadmill, watching Netflix, checking this forum. There are so many things you can do with them. If you have grandchildren just ask them to show you how to do what you need to.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
WOW someone else thinks as I do..I don't have a smart phone.My old phone makes calls.That's all I do with it.I'm not knocking high tech.gadgets.I think they're great for those who use them.So far though other than this computer and my old cell phone I don't seem to have a need for them.With that said though I'm on my way to the phone company today.My wife wants to upgrade her 3G smart phone to a new 4G.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've got one of those Android 4G phones. It's been a blessing because I don't need a land line phone, don't need a home computer, don't need a home stereo, or radio, and don't need a camera. And I don't need a TV, as I get Netflix streaming on the phone. Don't need a Garmin GPS, as map functions are on phone. I've lightened my load considerably. And if I drop it in the toilet or it gets stolen, I get a new one the very same day. The phone was free with a four year plan. All this for $65 a month. Oh I also got one of those solar chargers with hand crank backup, so I don't even need to be plugged into the grid. Aside from my pipes and pickup truck its all I need. That and proximity to a cell phone tower, which on the East Coast are thicker than trees.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet which I do about 90% of my web browsing on. So much more convenient than having to sit at a computer desk or tote around a laptop. Soon these things will be able to connect to networks and printers and the need even for laptops will be seriously reduced.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You never have a need for it...until you get it.
Then you can't live without it.
Assimilate! Assimilate!!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
You might learn to enjoy it. Most people I know with tablets use them as laptop-lite type devices, so they'll read e-mails, read websites, and watch videos on them. I've never understood why someone would want to use a computing device without a keyboard or a pen interface.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First thing you need to do is find a 10 year-old to unlock the secrets to the thing and show you around. I also recommend getting a case for it for when you throw it at the wall. Believe me the temptation will be there.

Enjoy your new toy.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My Samsung has a pen input that is absolutely amazing for input. You can even write words which it will convert to typed text if you want. It weighs nothing, I can watch live tv in it so when I'm smoking outside I can still watch the hockey or baseball game. This is one if those times where progress is indeed good.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
So I'm back from the phone company..My wife got something called a Windows phone.She tells me that it does everything except fry eggs.She keeps going wow this is cool every time she finds something else it does.She says it even makes phone calls.As for me I'm sticking with my old phone.It's simple and doesn't do much but make calls.It's all my old brain wants to cope with though.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I bought a verizon cell phone at wally world for about $20. I put $100 dollars of minutes on it and they last a year. At the end of the year the unused minutes disappear. I only use about half of the time I'm allowed. I only use it while traviling on the highway and to get picked up at the airport. I have developed some computer skills, but I still rely on savy friends to keep my computer healthy. I have few electronic gadgets, but if do get some new gizmo it will be a tablet. So I do understand the purchase, and it will probably be a decision I make over a beer or two myself.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I got the tablet last night - UPS. Was able to catch up on family news with the driver. His kids are doing well.

Thought I'd show pictures of the difference in technology.

The tablet is charging, so no update on how it's working out for me. It's the JellyBean model - whatever that means.

I read technical airplane specs all day long, this should be a walk in the park - Right!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
LOL, the jellybean means the version of the operating system the tablet is running. Nice tablet, it will take some getting used to, but once you do you'll take it with you everywhere you go.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
rayje: After several hours I can tell you that the tablet is completely charged, and the screen looks f**ed up because it is. The idiots forgot to load Android onto it.
I called the manufacturing company's customer service number and got hung up on twice. Three hours ago I contacted them thru email - no answer. The tablet is now on it's way back to ShopNBC to the tune of $12.50 for postage.
My wife has a little 7" tablet that she has to find a WiFi location in order to use it, think I'll go over to Verizon and get one of those portable WiFi things and call it good.
So much for joining the tech crowd.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
The idiots forgot to load Android onto it.
H...how does something like that slip past QA? My analogy might be a little off but that's like shipping a car without an engine. That still sucks.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'd be incensed that they made you pay to ship it back to them. Why couldn't they just e-mail you a label so you could print it out and tape it on the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.