PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If you haven't tried Islay inspired scotch, give it a try. More rounded and smooth than many single malts, and more body than most popular blended scotch, it goes well with Latakia blends and cigar leaf blends. I enjoyed it paricularly when paired with GLP Quiet Nights and McClelland Old Dominion Maduro. Pax

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
While the Double Black is cheaper than the Gold I was somewhat disappointed in it as a step up from Black Label. The malt flavor seemed to be sacrificed at the expense of the added smoke. It just seemed to me that their target market is to capture some of the Laphroaig / Ardbeg market with a blended product. I do like the Gold Label but would probably never buy it because of its price point with better single malts. I guess I see the same problem with Double Black. I wouldn't see the need to step up from Black Label if I was buying a blended scotch.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
In the summer, I like putting the Gold into the freezer a couple of hours. Then pour it into a shot glass for a delicious, frozen scotch confectionery.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Been looking for it around here but haven't found any. I like Black and I like Laphroaig, I'm sure I'll like this--but I daresay Johnnyreb has a rather good point.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Sometimes I'm in the mood for something easy on the rocks. Those times I drink a blend. Othertimes, I'm more in the mood for the complexity and robustness offered by single malts.

Dec 24, 2012
When I drink a blended scotch I normally go for Chivas. I know, I'm an easy lay.
Will have to try the Double Black if I see it,

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My wife is the Scotch drinker in the house.She loves JWB and JWG. She can't stand the Blue. Thank goodness for that.
Never heard of Double Black.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Sometimes I'm in the mood for something easy on the rocks. Those times I drink a blend. Othertimes, I'm more in the mood for the complexity and robustness offered by single malts.
Same here & I keep some blended for some of my friends when they are over. But I don't see the need to step up from Black Label or Chivas Regal to Double Black. Nor do I see the need to stay with Gold even though I like Gold, or even step up above Gold & stay with a blended product. It really can be a crowded market & there are probably buyers who don't know they could be buying better for little or no more money regardless of what they think they like.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I one time tried to order a double Johnny blue in DC (I was inebriated) it was two hundred dollars. Then my brother in law intervened and I got a water instead.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Double black isn't my cup of tea, er... whisky.
If I remember right, ardbeg 10 is around the same price (at least here in California) and gets my vote for being far better, at least for my taste buds. But if you want my vote for best adult beverage to enjoy in the company of a pipe I'm going with something obscure. Cardinal Mendoza Spanish brandy. Holy cow.
And now that I have hijacked this thread and tried to make it about brandy, back to your regularly scheduled blended whisky program.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I was at a Whisky tasting expo last weekend, Johnnie Walker is bringing the Green label back. The only blend I keep on hand is Chivas Regal 18, it tastes quite a bit better than the 12 in my opinion. I like Johnnie Walker blue, but it's price is just silly.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
That is good news if they bring green back. It is the only one that does not have grain alcohol in it. It is just vatted from single malts.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Tarheel, I wish that was still true. A few years ago, before it disappeared entirely, green moved from a vatted to a blended and also lost the age statement. It was a sad day. I'm assuming if they really are briging it back, they are bringing back the most recent, blended version. Boooo.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Double Black is a favorite of mine. Black is my go-to, but I will buy a bottle of the double when the mood strikes. It also seems to be my friends gift of choice for me. No complaints there.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Don't care for blended scotch, I'm a single malt guy. Not gonna say I'm a scotch snob and tried the best scotch in the world, but you can't go wrong with Glenlivet. Once the FDA squashed it's irrational prohibition on Absinthe, I switched from scotch to Absinthe. Absinthe is a much better drink,IMHO. In fact, Drinking Absinthe is the reason I started smoking a pipe. Although, Latakia blends and Absinthe do not agree with one another. Virginias, Burley, and Perique mixtures really set off your taste buds while drinking Absinthe.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I liked many of the Single Malts I've had, but not cared for a few. Bottles still 3/4 full. Johnny Walker Black is excellent, making me happy without going Single Malt. Double Black is worth maxing my credit cards out again.
If you ever get a chance to try Japanese Single Malt, whether Bourbon or Scotch "style", give it a go.
Vodka lovers - Japanese Vodkas are made from sweet potatoes. Like biting into a York Peppermint Patty. Screw the stoly and other crap.
Not that I have an opinion, mind you...

Status
Not open for further replies.