PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yesterday, June 11th was the anniversary (1979) of "The Duke's" passing. I watched "The Quiet Man" and "The Sons of Katy Elder". He was born in 1907, so next year will be 100 year anniversary of his birth, 5-26-1907.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Hey what's a decade amongst friends? I watched The Searchers and Big Jake in honor.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My wife, and her entire family, are HUGE Duke fans! But it's been a while since we watched. Still, a favorite expression around here when trying to locate someone in the house or out in the shed, etc, is hey "You in the jail!!" (Name which John Movie!!)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My father in Law and I first bonded, and continue to do so, via The Duke and old trucks. My favorites include El Dorado, The Cowboys, and Brannigan.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I think his last film, The Shootist, was one of his best. Below is an amusing story Eastwood tells related to that film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ncnL0iejo

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
"Hey, you in the jail!!!...". My wife said, Sons Of Katy Elder... google says Rio Lobo. When I was searching I also ran into a bit that John Wayne couldn't get the line quite right and required upwards of 40 takes to get it! May be hooey or apocryphal... who knows?!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
John Wayne has got to come out on top when facing down a bunch of "bratty" Harvard students. However, I have read he was firmly rejected by some hospitalized Vietnam soldiers who did not experience his visit as authentic. I think people loved the characters he played, and by association, the man himself. Actors often come off second best when they wade into current affairs, especially war situations. The real combat vets, James Arness (Anzio) and others mostly seemed to avoid advocacy, or at least exercised restraint, to their credit. But John Wayne did wonderful work on screen. It is a rare scene where he doesn't command the center, even when he's just to the side reacting. He was a natural.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
They Were Expendable, again Ford and Wayne together but the real star of that flick was Robert Montgomery.
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wrote a paper on the Duke's films for grad school. And by coincidence saw True Grit the other night. Thanks for telling us about his birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.