PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardh

Lurker
Jan 27, 2019
I just had the amazing good fortune to acquire 3 brand new unsmoked Calichs! I have done some research on what the stampings signify and am clear on the grading. One pipe in particular has some extra stamping that I can't figure out. The letters BPC or maybe B PC. Does anyone know what these mean? Thanks!

edwardh

Lurker
Jan 27, 2019
Had some issues figuring out how to upload an image... here it is :)

calich_bpc2-150x90.jpg

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Burlington Pipe Club 2003 ? According to info on Al’s Reborn pipes site John was a member of both the Burlington and Toronto pipe clubs. I googled: John Calich pipe nomenclature.

You mastered the picture posting trick!!

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I heard they were trying to get the Burlington club going again. Not as much interest these days and laws won’t allow many meeting spots. And kudos I still haven’t figured out the picture uploading lol

edwardh

Lurker
Jan 27, 2019
trudger, I think you might be spot on. I knew John was connected with both the Toronto and Burlington clubs but didn't put it together. I first met him back in the early eighties at the One Of A Kind craft show in Toronto. For a number of years I'd buy a pipe from him at that show and also at the CNE. The good old days when he would have tobacco samples and you could smoke a bowl while wandering through the show

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
His very early pipes were stamped X, XX,and XXX in ascending order of grading. I have an XX and an XXX. Show us pictues of your 3 new pipes!

edwardh

Lurker
Jan 27, 2019
Ok mau1, here you go... I also have an undated Calich stamped XX but no picture. Btw, posting images here is quite a task lol.

2000_gradee-150x112.jpg

Grade E, 2000

2001_gradeee-150x112.jpg

Grade EE, 2001

2003_grade5ebpc-150x112.jpg

Grade 5E 'BPC', 2003

dbcooper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2018
Just thought I'd drop a bit of info.. I've read multiple places that only 1 grade 17 pipe, from his earlier grading system was ever made. I can tell you thats false as I own two of them.. so I'm sure there are others out there. One of them happens to be the pipe on Calich's pipedia page.

Status
Not open for further replies.