PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I have a pipe in the mail for me today - a John Bessai Poker, marked as such (It is an estate pipe, with a replacement stem judging by the pictures. It has a rather beautiful rustication)
I was trying to see what all info I could find, besides about Bessai's life and ownership of the shop, as that is all over the internet. It is my understanding is these pipes are hard to come by and are of some of the best quality of American pipes. If anyone has any info, I'd love to know!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Bessai pipes pop up pretty regularly on ebay. There's two for auction right now. They look like decent pipes and bring moderate prices.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
This is the single best write up I know on Bessai's life and work:
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-john-bessai-pipe-clinic-information.html?showComment=1427480955313#c29259844549321176

K

klause

Good to know, Jon - great info, thanks.
I have a gorgeous blasted bent bulldog by Bessai - a fabulous pipe - beautifully made. It was unsmoked when I got it, and it took a long time to finally decide to smoke it - glad I did, as its a real pleasure to smoke.
Reckon you'll enjoy that pipe when you get it, Chalbach72 :)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
IF I recall correctly, are there two John Bessais? One here from my local shop in downtown Cleveland as mentioned but I believe another pipemaker used the name as well.
Mike S.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Thanks for the extra info, gentlemen! I received my pipe this past Friday, and it is a wonderful work of art, and as for the whole "2 John Bessai" issue, it is the one so regularly talked about - noted by the markings on the pipe and stem. I haven't had the chance to smoke it yet, but it's drilled perfectly, and it seems to be able to pass a pipe cleaner, though I haven't tried it yet! Can't wait to smoke it! :D

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Thanks all for the kind words! That's my blog and it's a real labor of love. Information on some of these old shops can be very difficult, yet fun, to gather.
I've just updated my blog to include information on the Jost site. That's taken me almost a year to accumulate enough information to put that page together!
Thanks to jguss for the outstanding historical information on the Bessai Pipe Clinic - some really in-depth detective work there!
I am only aware of the 1 John Bessai. Herb, his son carved some pipes as well, but continued to use the John Bessai stamps on the pipes. I have 1 Herb Bessai pipe which I have the stamp posted in my Bessai Info page. It's an HB next to his father's JB stamp.
I have to update the page with a couple more exceptional Bessai pipes I've come across (and own). One is a Bessai Special XX with some intricate carvings and a HUGE Special XL Dublin that must be 7+ inches long with the same carvings and artisan-ship.
All of the Bessai pipes I have smoke very well. You won't be disappointed if you find a Bessai Special pipe or one with the small jb stamp on the shank. Those are the older production pipes or high-end pipes he offered.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Just read the addition to your website, Dolomite; really great stuff!
Look out for a pm I just sent you with additional information on Jost etc you might find interesting.
Best,

Jon

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Love seeing all the info, guys.
Figured I'd show you the pipe quickly; I don't have any pictures of it myself right now, but I'll pull up the pictures from Smokers' Haven
059.33.JPG

058.36.JPG

057.33.JPG

056.39.JPG

If any of you could help date, it would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to see in the pictures, but I'll talk about the 2 markings on the pipe. The stem has the traditional "JB" logo stamped on the stem, and the shank is marked "John Bessai" on the bottom (If you look closely you can make it out on the bottom of the shank, though it is MUCH more recognizable in person. The pipe, from what I can tell, is drilled very well, and though I haven't tested it yet, should be able to pass a pipe cleaner. The stem is in relatively nice condition (and thankfully original), especially considering the pipe is at least what I'm guessing is 46 years or older. It has some indentations from someone clenching pretty hard and smoking hot, but it doesn't interfere with the draft hole at all, which is very open.
Also, in the pictures you can't see the "JB" on the stem, but it is there I assure you; I will try and get a picture of it soon! :D

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
That's a beautiful Bessai @chalbach72 ! Honestly the 1st Poker I've seen with Bessai markings on it (not that I can make them out very well).
It's really hard to date Bessai pipes. Unless the pipe has a small jb on the shank - allegedly indicating John made the pipe - it's probably post John's passing (1950). Herb made some good pipes too and some of these pipes could also have been left from when John was turning them, although older rusticated / blasted pipes with John's tiny jb stamp aren't very plentiful.
I would venture to guess this pipe is from the mid-60s-the early 80s in production.
Keep in mind there were Bessai pipes left over from the purchase of the Bessai Pipe shop that were still available at Cousin's Cigars in Cleveland into the early 2000s! What a find that must have been. They bought much of Herb's back-stock just before his passing.
Again, awesome pipe! It'll be a fantastic smoker.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Yes, I've been trying to find as much about it as I can, the only thing I've noted is it has John's signature JB stamped on the stem, which I couldn't tell but I was almost certain wasn't on herb's pipes! Regardless, I can tell it will be a wonderful smoker, and I plan to pair it with a peach aro house blend from my B&M tomorrow :D

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I really enjoy reading about these pipe makers and their histories. I just read about Prebon Holm today, and that's an amazing bio right there.

The history and evolution of pipes is an added bonus to their enjoyment.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Evening gents,
I recently purchased a chubby author shaped John's special on the Bay.Bought it for a mere 35,00 euro's and I love it. The briar feels heavy and old, very dense, shows a dark walnut colour and outstanding finish. The usual JB logo is on the stem, not on the shank.

John Bessai deceased in 1950 or 1968 ?

Any thoughts or opinions ?

Many thanks and carefull puffing.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have a bit of a head-scratcher for John Bessai lovers. There are two Bessai Pipe Clinic pipes listed on eBay and they are both stamped "Made in England". Unless I am mistaken, nowhere have I read that some Bessai pipes were made in England, yet here they are. Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Mau1...those are very early pipes from the Bessai Pipe Clinic. Likely 20s or 30s. It's my impression those are likely Comoy products or another supplier (possibly BBB?). I've seen some with silver hallmark bands but they're out of my price-range. Those would be very nice pipes if cleaned and cared for but certainly over market price EVEN IF restored.
Quite a piece of Cleveland / Bessai history there. I have a picture of another Bessai Pipe Clinic Pipe towards the bottom of my blog page.
Cheers, Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.