PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
Good morning all, was searching around on line for a moderately priced briar and stumbled upon these joeby pipes. Does anyone have one of them in their collection and is it worth a purchase?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I have one and I love it. It is, in some ways, nothing special at all... it was $50 new... the grain is next to non-existent and the finish is some lackluster bulk process... it almost looked flesh-colored when I first got it. It is relatively light-weight for the nice size of it. All that being said, it is one of the best, most comfortable smokers I own in a field of about 40 pipes. It has one of the most comfortable vulcanite mouth-pieces I've ever experienced. I had at first decided it was to be my "beater/outdoor/work" pipe... dang if it wasn't perfect out there! Now after several years, the finish has darkened... almost approaching chestnut or something, it still smokes like a dream, and is almost like having a custom pillow between my teeth. And on one hand, I'm not afraid of losing it or having it come to ill... and other the hand, MORTIFIED of the same! Happy Piperizing!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't own one but have handled them at the B&M. They seems to be decent pipes for the money. One cool feature is the "Jobey Link" which allows you to align the stem without over twisting it. The brand has an interesting history and well worth reading about.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have an older Jobey, from the era before the 'link' with a push fit stem marked "English Para-Vulcanite" and a rolled gold plate band. I bought it because I didn't have a prince shape and it was only $6 at the junk store.
It is a GREAT pipe! I was very surprised at how nice a smoking and looking pipe it turned out to be.
Since they have never been high end pipes, I would suspect the quality difference between old and new isn't as great as it might otherwise be and I would give them a shot.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Jobey shouldn't be a good pipe, but it is. It has a high gloss finish, which usually isn't a high recommendation. It has "spot carving" which is done at the factory with a drill, I believe. The stem screws onto the shank. I bought it because despite all, it is a pretty little devil. People were complimenting that even as I was in line to pay for it at my local independent pipe shop. Jobey has a rather complicated history as alluded to in earlier posts in this thread. If I remember, they started in France, moved to England for a time, then to the U.S., and some years ago back to France. I believe the company changed hands along the way. The stem of my pipe is stamped "France," but the shop owner thought it might have been mostly manufactured in the U.S., but couldn't be sure. I am well pleased with this pipe. It has a good draw, not wide open but not restricted. It doesn't overheat. It seems to breathe well despite the shiny finish. So it's a strange little number, kind of a lucky mistake, and I like it well.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have a new Jobey -- pronounced Joe BAY, just FYI (I googled that). I wanted this particular shape in something. I like it and it smokes just fine.
Now I too didn't like the high gloss, plastic look, so I went over it with 1400 grit sandpaper, then gave a layer of Halcyon II wax. The grain is interesting, but not that of a $$$ pipe for sure.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
I recently received my grandfather's old pipes. He passed about 25 years ago,they are in pretty bad shape and not of very good quality. I restored two of them and smoked one for the first time last night. The only marking on it was the name Bradley. It burned quite hot and really wasn't a nice smoke. Though I'd like restore all of them I'd like to have something decent to smoke with while doing so. Seems like a good fit at 50-60 bux.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ichristmas, I will sing you the old refrain which goes, buy a few MM cobs to fill in, so your Jobey can rest between smokes, and you'll be a happy camper.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I see they make a bent pot with a diamond shank, which is a bit unusual and kind of awesome. I notice everyone who has responded has mentioned how well their Jobeys smoke, which is good to hear. There's nothing more terrifying for a budget smoker than the idea of shelling out good money for a pipe you don't want to smoke! :cry:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
lchristmas:
There was a time when a Jobey burner was as good as it gets for a production made pipe. Unfortunately, that poor brand was then passed around like a box of tissues and what you saw was what you got. I've got one that's a smoke billowing monster: owned by the first guy who tried to steer me into pipes a gazillion years ago and it will always anchor a corner in my rack. (Maybe circa the late 60's to mid 70's.)
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Jobey
Fnord

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I picked up a Jobey straight billiard as my first dedicated "English" pipe. It was inexpensive, but it's given me no problems (aside from a bit of cold-weather gurgling, which a pipe cleaner takes care of). The owner of the B&M where I bought it was surprisingly enthusiastic about the brand, declaring that "they're great little smokers" - normally, he's pretty reserved and judicious with his praises of specific products, as near as I can tell...

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I had one Jobey straight billiard and I did not like it. The Jobey link made it collect moisture and made passing a pipe cleaner difficult. I think it was a good pipe for the price point, but it annoyed me lol. I gifted that pipe and I hope the new owner loves it.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have three English Jobey pipes that were my grandfathers. They all are push stems with brass rhondelles. I cant speak for any of the newer ones, but these smoke just fine.
ZUnxrGel.jpg

mdfReevl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.