PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Always liked his rather unusual singing voice.
It also always cracked me up when John Belushi did his imitation of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZsOyO_lXD8

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
painful to watch but, on his game, such a pleasure to hear.
rip, mr. cocker.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
He was one of my all time favorites, loved him, very sad day when I heard it. A true talent & unique & different from all at the period. My brother-in-law was a drummer in a band at the time & he sang Cocker so much like him, you couldn't tell the difference.

A true loss.

Had to be there & have the T-Shirt.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
What a talent! His powerful voice and presence is the likes of which that will not be replaced soon. Perhaps ever. He is one of the great rockers of excess that actually made it to a reasonable life expectancy. His excess did not bring him down like other greats. I am thankful that we were blessed with such an artist. May he rest in peace.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
He was one of the true greats. It is doubtful his unique style would make it through the pop/rock generators today. He will be missed.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It is doubtful his unique style would make it through the pop/rock generators today
The so called pop/rock generators of today are nothing more than copycat childish ass-wipes and have no concept whatsoever of what 'music' is, much less what talent is. And please, don't even get me started with 'rap', which by the way, has nothing whatsoever to do with music. Since when is talking a 'musical' talent. Sorry for the rant, but the artists who actually had the true concept of what music is are slowly dying away, i.e., Joe Cocker and a slew of others whom I'll not even get into. If Justin Bieber and the likes of Pitbull are the next generation of so called vocalists/artists then stop the world as I want to get off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQswfILThsY

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
He had that "raw" singing voice, kind of like Janis Joplin had....that made him a standout in my book...he could really belt it out, a great talent.
Yep, as you said as raw talent with the likes of Janis Joplin. A talent that will be missed and is rare to come by. Just as there will never be another Frank Sinatra. Yes, a somewhat odd comparison considering the likes of Joe Cocker's voice and his style of singing, but a unique voice nonetheless and one that will never be matched.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
He will be missed ... many, many great songs that left me feelin' alright!
watch

A more modern day band to add to the list of "raw vocalists"
watch

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
The so called pop/rock generators of today are nothing more than copycat childish ass-wipes and have no concept whatsoever of what 'music' is, much less what talent is. And please, don't even get me started with 'rap', which by the way, has nothing whatsoever to do with music. Since when is talking a 'musical' talent. Sorry for the rant, but the artists who actually had the true concept of what music is are slowly dying away, i.e., Joe Cocker and a slew of others whom I'll not even get into. If Justin Bieber and the likes of Pitbull are the next generation of so called vocalists/artists then stop the world as I want to get off.
@phil67, I was just discussing this with my 17 year old son last evening. He has a teacher who mentioned he'd seen Humble Pie when Peter Frampton was still with them back in the early 70s. I love Humble Pie but was too young to see them live and my son told him I would have killed to have seen them and he was lucky to have had the experience. My son told the teacher that I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn live back in December of 1985 (with backstage passes nonetheless, long story) and the teacher said I was lucky as hell. My son is into good music and agrees that there are no groundbreaking artists at this point in history. What we have today is crap, even the country genre has degenerated into bullshit.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Obviously Joe Cocker was a little of ahead of my time, but I still think his Beatles cover at Woodstock is one of the best musical performances I've seen for raw emotion. Love watching that performance.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
May he Rest In Eternal Peace. He was one of my favourite artists growing up, a legend that will live on in the hearts of many

Status
Not open for further replies.