PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I recall Lawrence once saying that of all the pipes he owns, his one Jobey is by far the worst smoker. Well, today I dusted off an old Jobey Stromboli, filled it with 4noggins' Button Bay, a blend which, in all my other pipes, has always given me a rich, flavourful, dry smoke, and lit up. Virtually no taste, and a horrible gurgle almost from the beginning.
I'm thinking it might be the screw-in tenon on this Stromboli, but whatever it was, it was not pleasant.
Anyone else smoke Jobeys, and, if so, what have been your impressions?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one Jobey which has several defining characteristics. It has a high shine finish. It has the screw-in tenon,

and it has the only spot carving among all my pipes. These are done as little clusters like grapes. It has a unique

shaped light grayish yellow stem and thin metallic bands. When I bought it I was told it was made when Jobey was

making pipes in the U.S., but the stem is marked France, so that's an unknown. So far this pipe has proved a good

smoker. No extra moisture, a good breathing draw, nice balance, light weight but good bowl capacity, and it remains

an attractive pipe. I have looked at the Stromboli; mine isn't one of those. Stromboli have an unusually deep

rustication, and I'm not sure how that works for dissipating the heat, which is why I didn't buy it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have one given to me by Pruss and it is a good little smoker. And I like the way it looks too, it is an odd little pipe, rusticated at the bottom with a octagonal smooth bowl on top. Very different, but worth keeping. I would understand a gurgle, but I don't see how a pipe would affect the taste unless it has a bowl coating or something. To say that a full flavored tobacco goes from full taste to no taste is a bit extreme and I just can't believe it can be that bad.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I had one years ago.It looked great,but didn't smoke so good.I gave it to a fella who said he wanted to start smoking pipes.He never did.He never returned the pipe.I have no clue where it is now.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I have an old Jobey Shellmoor Extra made in Denmark rusticated Oom Paul, probably early '70s? I don't know, I inherited it from my father-in-law and unfortunately had no conversations with him about his pipes before he died -- no screw-in tenon, just a basic push-in. Smokes fine, had a great bowl of Magnum Opus in it over the weekend. The darned thing has a huge, deep bowl.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
I too, have a wonderful Jobey Shellmoor Extra Oom Paul, just like chervokas described.

It's my second favorite pipe I own, it's given me no problems. :)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
image58-600x372.jpg

I just acquired this Jobey "355" Stromboli bent acorn, as an estate last week. I've had several bowls of various English blends in it and , so far, it seems to be a great little smoker! To the touch, its one of the coolest smoking pipes I own! I personally think rusticated and blasted pipes smoke cooler anyway. This one smokes cool in all regards, and dry, all the way to the bottom! For less than $25, I couldn't be happier!

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
I have a "Jobey Pinch". It's a smooth finish Dublin style. Full size pipe. The stem is very unusual. Hence the name "Pinch". It's a fine smoking pipe. I have never seen another pinch pipe by any other maker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not that the purchase price is all, but I would put my Jobey in the category of my pipes that perform beyond their

price point, and given that I bought it from my local independent, and didn't pay bottom dollar, that's a kudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.