PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Heya folks.
After a couple great years of solid Secret Santa programs which saw nearly 100 gifts exchanged into 8 different countries, a couple of protectorates and Texas, I'm heading to my porch to kick up my heels and smoke a pipe. Life, work and other activities have conspired to take me away from PipesMag and I don't see that changing in the near future.
If you guys want a Secret Santa this year, someone will need to step up to coordinate it. I'm happy to chat with the crazy person lucky SOB who volunteers. Fire me a PM and I'll walk you through the basics.
It should be noted that this program is NOT sanctioned by PipesMag, and is run entirely as a volunteer effort by the Pipes Magazine faithful, and a couple of Elves (Dottle and Plug, they are lovely but tend to overdo it on the whisky). Kevin and his band of merry men politely look in other directions when we do this, but this is truly a community run gift exchange.
Cheers, folks. Thanks to everyone who participated in the last couple Secret Santa exchanges. You folks are awesome.
-- Pat

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was just thinking about SS event yesterday and I realized that how impatiently I was waiting for the next event. I imagined the announcement of SS 2017 and a smile appeared on my face. It is really sad to see you go Pat. As far as I know, there wasn't even a single member who hasn't received his SS gift during your management of the event. I appreciate you efforts and would like to sincerely thank you. Now let's see the next lucky guy who is going to organize it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pat, you've done a stellar job shepherding the Secret Santa. Your patient, efficient work ethic has made this annual exercise of insanity enjoyable for all of us.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks gents. It was a pleasure to do.
I'm sure someone with solid comms skills in good standing with the community here will step forward to take this on. It is really one of the most fun forum threads to watch that doesn't involve the psychological self immolation of a forum member (that I am aware of).
-- Pat

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Pat thank you for your service.
Dan aka woodsroad that's very nice of you to step up and fill Pta's shoes. :rofl:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Secret Santa eh? I lack the seniority to volunteer for organizing such an event, not even sure what it entails, but should somebody get involved I would like to gifts somebody somebody for christmas ... something. The secret part makes it even more interesting ... please post once the administrative things have been settled . :puffpipe:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pat, perhaps you could outline what Secret Santa is, the number of participants involved, the responsibilities of the coordinator and the amount/duration of time involved. You've made it look easy, which is a testament to your organizational skills and inhuman patience with the likes of us.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
No problem, Dan.
What It Is
The (un)Official Pipes Magazine Secret Santa is a seasonal gift exchange which pairs volunteer "Santa"' types with a recipient. Everyone who signs up for the exchange commits to sending a gift of at least (but not limited to) two tins of tobacco that are in the wheelhouse of their giftee. As previously mentioned this exchange is not run, monitored by, or officially endorsed by the Pipes Magazine ownership or admin team. That said, this is their house and we have successfully operated here for every year that I have been a member because we made this easy for them. I can't speak for Gunnar, but both years I've run this gig I have had 0 PMs with administrators related to how the exchange is managed or working. I, annually, sent a note to Kevin advising my intent to run an unofficial exchange and each year the reply was, roughly, "Follow the rules. Pipes Mag isn't a part of this. Have fun. Merry Christmas."
Who Should Run It?
The person who takes this on should be active on the forums. They should know the running jokes, be friends with the personalities that make this place interesting and be awareness of the nuance of the place. They should be on good terms with the admin team. They need to be able to count on admin backup if things go pear shaped with a participant or with the whole exchange. They should have a track record of successful trades, sales and transactions with the rank and file; if possible it would be solid if they have a couple large admin tasks behind them (like running a box pass). They need to be consistent, fair, and clear communicators who respond quickly to participant requests. They need to be available and accessible.
What Does This All Entail?
Honestly? Time, patience, humour, patience, solid rules, patience, whiskey, and patience.
In the last two years we had around 40 participants each year. Each participant had to advise whether they were willing to ship outside the CONUS, or not, and provide me with their mailing address and name. Once received I plugged each participant into a spreadsheet which separated the folks who would go outside the lower 48 with those who would not. I then assigned each participant on the two lists to another from the same list as a recipient. This set up the "who gives to whom" waterfall. I then made sure that everyone got assigned, checked the list twice, and sent an email to everyone which included the contact info of their targets, and did this all by early November. I then tracked via the forums, and my spreadsheet, when every package was sent and received. When we got to within three weeks of the shipping deadline I began making reminder posts here, and sending out personal emails to all participants who had not yet posted that they had shipped their parcel off to their target. In the last Secret Santa this meant that I was chasing parcels until February, and I received final confirmation of receipt on July 17, 2017.
What does this really amount to? All in? Over 400 emails, and probably 24 hours of commitment.
But fuck it, it's fun.
Anyone interested should read through these two threads:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/unofficial-secret-santa-2015
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-unofficial-pipes-magazine-secret-santa-2016-edition
Ultimately, you guys... the rabble, the rank and file, the users of Pipes Mag make this a success. So volunteers, volunteer wisely, and participants... read the rules, follow the rules, and have fun.
-- Pat

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
1tvddi.jpg

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Man that poster makes me want to volunteer, but I'm new, and I have the organization skills of a 3 year old on 6 cups of coffee.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think we found our Shepherd.
After a week of PMs, emails, and correspondence with interested parties and the admin team I am really pleased to announce that Woodsroad is taking over the exercise in lunacy truly rewarding pastime which is authorship and corralling and execution (only occasionally literally) of the (un)Official Pipes Magazine Secret Santa gift exchange.
Woodsroad is the perfect steward of this volunteer joy-fest. He's successfully managed the PM Box Pass (US version), he is a regular contributing member of the forums, is recognized as a forum personality and he's met many of our fellow members through his efforts in bringing the STCo of Pa to market.
I'm sure Woodsroad will chime in with details about 2017 shortly, so I'm gonna hang up my Elf hat next to the snowshoes and load a bowl of Quiet Nights.
Thanks for the last two years, y'all. It was grand.
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pat and Gunnar. Big shoes to fill. Really big shoes.
I'm looking forward to a a great Secret Santa season with y'all. Like I'm looking forward to slaloming down Mt. Everest. With no skis. In my underwear.
Either way, We're going to have an epic thread blow out on this one, to be sure. Pack a bowl, Stay tuned. You're all gonna love the ride.
Santafinal2-vi.jpg

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.