JN. Barber (smoke.co.uk) Sent me a used and abused pipe!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
* On October 21st I placed an order for a Peterson System Ebony 317.

* On October 23rd, I received an email from them that they didn't have the 317 in stock but they did have the 303 if I'd rather have that. I asked if they had the 317 in standard color smooth. They did and shipped it.
Today, I received the pipe and the first thing I noticed is the that the bowl looks used and reamed out. But I'm still new to this piping world so I dismissed it. But when I looked it over in more detail, overall it just seemed "dull", not all shiny and new like a new pipe would be (going by the other Peterson Killarney I got).
Well, the real proof was when I tested the airflow, it didn't seem very good...Upon taking the stem off and trying to pass a pipe cleaner through, it got stuck in the stem and come to find there was GRIT and little pebbles in there!!!!
I had to use a toothpick to pick at and fish out the grit, grime and pebbles in the stem! Here's a pic of all the crap that had to be cleaned out of it!

10618333243_a85d673cf3_o.jpg

Here's what the inside of the bowl looks like:

10618061015_be68a4c079_o.jpg

I've emailed them and waiting for response.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The Killarney has a glossy finish (unlike the Aran, for example, which has a matte finish) and the bowl (to me) looks new, but I don't know how to explain the dirt. That's pretty wild.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
That has got to be one of the weirdest things I've seen when it comes to pipes, hope this ends well for you namuna.

~Ron

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The edges of the bowl rim look like they might have some char marks.
Perhaps they might have sent you an estate pipe. Check your packing invoice against the price shown on their website.
I hope the company resolves this issue.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Here's some further details on just how NOT new this pipe is...
Leftover reamer teeth marks in the bowl:

10618744946_592995042f_z.jpg

Is that a bowl repair?:

10618740774_652e0a3f25.jpg

Scuff marks on the banding:

10618744756_df06db4952_z.jpg

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks on the replies folks.
- pitchfork: You're right, comparing it to the shiny Killarney isn't fair. But the dullness of it, in general makes me think if it wasn't used, it was at least a display model.
- flmason: Oh this is definitely an "estate" pipe (or well fondled display model), nothing new about it. But I went through their website product page and my invoice and there's absolutely no mention of being estate.
- Roth: I certainly hope they'll make good on this.
The old adage that "If it seems too good to be true, it must be" seems to apply here. But there was absolutely no indication this would be an estate (or display model) pipe...And a damned half-assed one at that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very well could have been a display model (or a rummage drawer model) -- it's scratched, it's filled with dirt, the bowl has scratches... They should definitely take it back and pay for the shipping, too.
As for the reamer tooth marks, all of the Peterson's I've bought new had those marks. But the bowl coating is scratched off lower down -- this pipe has been roughly handled at some point and never should have been shipped out to you.
Sorry to see a new piper run into such trouble like this. I expect Barber will make good on it (especially when they see this thread!).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very odd - may have been an honest mistake on their part. Hope they sort it out to your satisfaction - hope you'll let us know the outcome and good luck!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
The looks kinda like a mud dauber has made a nest in that pipe.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+dauber&rlz=1C1CHAB_enUS435US435&oq=mud+dobber&aqs=chrome..69i57.3407j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=Mud+dauber
I am surprised they let a pipe leave the shop like that. I have seen the tool marks inside the bowl on several new Peterson pipes. Hopefully they will make it right. Let us know how it goes.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Most pipes, like clothes off the rack, have been handled before purchased to see how they fit the hand. The bowl is coated with Peterson's bowl coating which is supposed to help break-in. The marks inside are tool marks from the machines used in carving. The matte finished bowl is standard as far as most Petersons go. The pipe looks like a standard unsmoked Pete to me. Though the dirt is strange and I'd like to know how it got there.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Most pipes, like clothes off the rack, have been handled before purchased to see how they fit the hand. The bowl is coated with Peterson's bowl coating which is supposed to help break-in. The marks inside are tool marks from the machines used in carving. The matte finished bowl is standard as far as most Petersons go. The pipe looks like a standard unsmoked Pete to me. Though the dirt is strange and I'd like to know how it got there.
I completely agree with assaad.
Pipes that are not lacquered for that ever-glossy finish, but waxed (as they should be, IMO) turn dull fairly fast If you handle them. And many Petes have a matte finish as do many other brands. The tool marks inside the bowl (left by the fraizing machine holding the stummel) are consistent with many other machine made pipes. As is the bowl coating. It certainly looks unsmoked to me. That substance in the stem I cannot explain. That is really absurd. Maybe some hardened residue from buffing compounds that was overlooked.
I do think that Peterson's QC has dropped the ball (once again). Also, the merchant should have obviously inspected the pipe before shipping.
I'm sorry you had such bad luck with your purchase.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
FYI the two Peterson's pipes I referred to in my earlier topic "Problems With Recent Era Peterson Pipes?" were both bought from J N Barber, so it seems clear (to me at least) that both Peterson and this distributor have problems with quality control.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
If the inside of that bowl is typical and QC acceptable, run screaming from the brand. MG, it has multiple gouges.
I have never seen even a bucket pipe with that poorly finished a bowl.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Contact them and I'm sure they will do their best to resolve this, I have only been to their shop once but I can tell you that they are an amazing family-run business who were friendly and quite helpful. Hope it goes well for you!

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
That's a new, unsmoked pipe. That's just the cost of doing business with Peterson.
The "reamer marks" inside the bowl are chuck marks. Scuff marks on the banding is typical.
How Peterson can charge what they have been and get away with it? Beyond me.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's a new, unsmoked pipe. That's just the cost of doing business with Peterson.
The "reamer marks" inside the bowl are chuck marks. Scuff marks on the banding is typical.
I agree. You'll see marks inside the bowl like that in a lot of the factory made pipes,especially the cheaper ones. Don't hurt a thing.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
The Peterson System Deluxe I got for my wife had those same marks on the inside of the bowl and, to be honest, they are what made me decide not to get another Peterson pipe. I mean for 180 bucks it should be a better product then that... I know this will probably stir up the crowd but it is what it is. I commissioned a David Jones pipe in the exact shape and style I wanted for 20 bucks less and there sure as hell werent any marks on that one!

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Response received this morning:
Our sincerest apologies that your pipe has arrived in such a poor condition. We can assure you that all our pipes are un smoked and brand new pieces and we are at a loss as to explain what has happened. I have forwarded your email to our suppliers and I will email when I receive a satisfactory explanation from them.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Wow. That is definitely a brand new pipe. The mortise would be black if it had been smoked. Would I care? Enough to complain, and upset that Barber didn't pick me out a nice pipe. After smoking for a week, my pipes look a whole lot worse, to be honest. All those marks will fill out with cake, and you'll drop this little pipe a few times...easy to do.
Now, I understand what you guys mean about quality control problems.
317 is my favorite pipe and goes everywhere with me.
Thanks for posting...makes me a little worried, because I have been planning on picking up a 31 system from Barber for my "nice" pipe, that I take care of and keep shiny! I think I'll pass now. Too bad, because their prices are about 1/2 on system pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.