PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I picked up this little thing because I saw the potential for a nice smoker for myself. The only stamping on the briar is "J.M." inside an oval.

0119172155a_zpspd31zufs.jpg
[/url][/img]
The stamp might be visible in this photo. I thought it might be an old Boswell but I can't say for sure.

0119172155_zpsqnrp37hz.jpg
[/url][/img]
I cleaned the oxidation off the stem with wet 800 grit sandpaper. After that I used wet micromesh 3200 up to 4000. Afterwards, I took it to the buffer for white compound and carnuba wax. For the silver band I used Simichrome polish. The work on the bowl consited of coffee grounds to get rid of the rim char and blackening. For the briar, it just looked thirsty so I gave it a few light coats of oil. It drank it right up and looked great.
1485990235495-133429988_zps9pn5qe82.jpg
[/url][/img]
I left a few gouge marks in the stem because there were deep tooth marks and they were heavily oxidized. I got at those with a needle file to remove the damage and proceeded with sandpaper.

I reamed some of the cake out and freshened the shank a little with 192 proof booze. Smoked about nine bowls of straight Five Brothers to exorcise the demons and this thing has quickly become one of my favorite pipes. I think it's not bad for a measly $10 and a few hours of work.
Hope you enjoyed.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanx very much. It smokes very well. I left the old cake in there so I wouldn't have to re break it in myself. Cool dry smokin' baby. That's all any of us are looking for and it provides exactly that.
One more pic

14859908054611164808333_zpszddoy9xs.jpg
[/url][/img]

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
This is just a wild ass guess, but you may want to call J.M. Boswell. I have seen a couple different very early versions of stamps he may have used before the signature.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice job freshening up that sweet little pipe.

Looks like a nice size pocket pipe...is it as short as it looks in the photos? :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
JM pipes, according to "Who Made That Pipe" are made by John Middleton, which makes sense. Middleton's was a shop in Philadelphia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Middleton_Co.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
The pipe measures at just under 5" across the farthest points. Very small. I think I'm going to use it for the higher powered nic blends. He's resting up for a few days and getting ready for a run of Jack Knife Plug.
Thanks so much for the info. I believe the history of an estate pipe holds half of its charm.
As a matter of fact, thanks to everyone on here. I learned so much from these repair and maintenance threads. I wouldn't have even tried to do something like this without reading all the information shared by others. Many thanks!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Looks like a real workhorse. It's great that you left some of its original wear and tear as it adds to the pipes charm.
Good job. Congratulations!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the cant on the bowl, a very nifty style detail that brings the whole pipe alive. Great job.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Wow, what a great deal for you! The bargain price plus the satisfaction from doing the refurbishing well.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
It's almost like a cross between a poker and a cutty. It sits too. It's a cutterpo... Or a sittier. Potty-er? :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.