J.M. Boswell make the best aromatic blends??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
I've heard and read several different times that boswell makes the best aromatics. They actually taste like they smell... Twice at the pipe and tobacco shop in little rock I've been told this. I'm fixing to order their aromatic samplers pack and looking forward to pipers pleasure and christmas cookie. Any have experience with boswell aromatics? Is what I've heard/read true? I know all have different opinions so I'd love to hear em all!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I actually recently received two of their blends from a friend. One was the berry cobbler, he other was their peaches and cream. Both are extremely aromatic once you open the bag, I was afraid it would be like many other strong smelling aromatics, the taste would either be cough syrupy, or die almost instantly. Nope, they both held their own, great room note, pleasant taste not too strong of fake tasting, but either way it was a great aro. I enjoyed both blends, and continue too. I don't know if they're the best, but I'm impressed with the quality of the smoke and the taste. Doesn't burn hot or gurgle, just great overall smoke. Well worth picking some up at least for a try if nothing else, then make your own decisions. Hope that helps:)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I believe that Russ Ouelette (I always misspell Russ's last name) and Mike McNiel at McClelland's are generally considered to be far and away the best "artisan" blenders of Aromatics in the USA. They both offer a huge variety of aromatic blends ranging from the REALLY aromatic to the subtle aromatics. And Sutliffe also has a monstrous number of aromatics that seem to please a lot of folks. All would certainly compete worldwide, but our friends across the pond have made some all-time classic aromatics over the years and should not be left out, in my opinion.
I don't think anyone could, with authority, say that any one blender makes the best aromatics. With tastes being so subjective and so many quality blenders out there, it would boggle the mind to pick out just one as "the best." Again, just my humble opinion.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Well boswell aromatics are very good, I would place them in the upper deck for aromatics for sure. I have not tried any of Russ's aromatics over at pipes and cigars, but what I have tried from Russ has been some of the finest blends on the market IMO. Mccellands does make some good aromatics as well and if you can creep around C&D has autumn evening which is probably my all time favorite aromatic. Dan tobacco makes some good ones as well but you should have a pipe dedicated for those blends especially devils holiday. I believe you will find a ton of aromatics out there I mean that's why most folks get into pipe smoking for the fragrances. So the market is just filled with aromatic blends. Good luck in the search there are plenty of fantastic blends out there.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I'll attest to McClelland. Holiday Spirit 2014 was and is probably the most interesting and best tasting aromatic I've smoked, and I never had a problem with it being too hot or gurgly.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
+1, pipestud. :)
I recently purchased a pipe from a Belgian seller who was kind enough to include his personal blend cellared in 1981 in a 3 bowl bag. Wow! so much for aromatics not cellaring. Anyway, if you are going to go aromatics, I would try some of all those mentioned. It is indeed subjective. Then again, if I had had access to a site like this 40 years ago, I would try some non aromatic tobacco too. Just a thought.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't had any of Boswell's blends, but I've only heard good things about them. I did see recently via their Instagram account that they will be offering these up along with some other non-aromatics like North Woods in 2oz tins.
I have had Russ' Eggnog which was really good. Haven't had any other aromatics of his though.
As for C&D I've had Autumn Evening which I really enjoyed.
I would also mention that McClelland has some top notch aromatics. I've had most of the Premium Aromatics line and they were all wonderful. I also have had their Holiday Spirit and it's a winner as well.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I have smoked quite a few Boswell aro's and they smoke pretty clean.Pennsylvania Dutch Treat is probably my favorite.

Reactions: seorim

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I love boswells aromatics, but I can't smoke them too often. They seem to "blend together" and the taste becomes mundane. I guess I can say that about a lot of aromatic brands. Which is the reason I have a lot of tobacco.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
My wife is a huge fan of Boswell aromatics.
happy-051.gif

Jen would wholeheartedly agree with...

"They actually taste like they smell."

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Bennington Tobacconist has a really nice aro called Connoisseurs Choice. I got it in a trade here on the forums and was surprised how tasty it is.

Jun 4, 2014
I'm not a big aromatic fan, but my favorite does come from Boswell's. Their Bear Blend is the only aromatic I try to keep on hand. Its has a nice tobacco flavor with just a hint of the topping. Their Berry Cobbler is also very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.