PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I started smoking Balkan Sobranie in 1982, so I missed the 1970s version on which this is based, and was slightly different than what I was used to. However, a few years ago, I was fortunate enough to have sampled the 1960s BS, and this is fairly similar to it. The main differences are the Orientals are a little spicier, there's a little less latakia, and a little more sweetness here than the 1960s version. The mild soda note from the Yenidje is milder here than in the Sobranie I regularly smoked, though the Macedonia plays the same background notes. The yellow Virginias are lightly grassy with a natural sweetness. The Cyprian latakia has the usual smokey sweet woodsy flavor, and is balanced nicely by the other components. Like DK, I found it a little tamer than Russ' Black House, and more of an all day smoke for my personal taste, which Balkan Sobranie often was for me back in earlier times. This is a little dry out of the tin, and I find it a little more flavorful with a slight bit of moisture. Burns perfectly well with few relights, and a smooth creaminess that leaves you wanting to smoke another bowl right away.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Another great review - thanks, Jim. I have an unopened tin of this, and was afraid it would be too heavy for the heat of summer. Sounds like it's a little lighter than I was expecting, and I might not wait until the fall to crack the tin after all.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
As always, Jim, you're right on target. I smoked The Original exclusively for twenty years and this is really the closest blend I've ever found. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Excellent. i recently did a review of this blend as well. Or maybe I didn't. I can't remember.

Peck, you were reviewing the Mixture 79, and you liked it so much you ordered the 5 pound bulk package!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Down to my last tin...when, oh when, are we going to be blessed with more?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We expect more in a week or so. The initial response led to selling almost twice as much as BlackHouse during the launch. We're thrilled with the reception and will have more than 1200 tins coming in over the next month or so.
Russ

Aug 1, 2012
Great review. I just might crack one of my tins tomorrow when I get to teach a new smoker the basics.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
If you shipped to Canada you would only have 1000 tins the other 200 would probably find it's way into Pecks cellar. :lol:

Dec 24, 2012
Russ, will this one be distributed to smokingpipes like Blackhouse is? As a Canuck, I have to get my Blackhouse through them, but I can't get WK or Magnum Opus through SP. Not sure why.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I have ordered some but I am waiting to age the tins a bit before trying them. But maybe I should try a fresh one for my own education on what happens during the aging process?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harlock: it's good fresh. Go ahead and open a tin, age the rest. You can always buy more.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
I liked that you have previous knowledge of BS, i did a review of this tobacco in a new to the mixture point of view. I like that since you had any idea of what this blend was suppose to be like that you found it as pleasing as i have. I bought another two tins and plan on store them with my other tin so i can have a 1year 5 year and a 10 year old version to see how it ages.
I am still smoking my first tin that i did my review on and i still like it but i dont think it will be my everyday smoke. I was gifted a nice bag of Barbados and have found i really enjoy the taste and smell of it.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
WhiteKnight was on backorder, so my first tin just arrived today. I've never had Balkan Sobranie, so I can't make a comparison, but this is very good stuff. My first bowl is nearly done and Jim is quite right: I'm gonna need a second bowl right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.