PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias are very earthy with a little grassiness, and are dark fruit sweet in a fermented way. I also notice a little citrus. Even though they don't list burley as a component, the boldness of earth suggests a little of it to my taste buds. One of the toppings is pleasantly floral in a Lakeland way, but not overly so or quite the same way as a Lakeland is. I can't identify the other toppings, but I taste apricots, plum, figs, and dates among the sweet flavors of the toppings and the tobacco. It takes a little time to prepare, and needs some dry time, but smoking it dry would cause some loss of the fullness of flavor of which this has plenty. Has a strong enough nic-hit to enjoy without making you have to sit down and shake off the wooziness. No chance of bite. Burns slow, requires a number of relights, and needs a a little stirring of the tobacco after the half way point, even when you pack it loose. Will leave moisture in your bowl, but if you're not a wet smoker and properly prepare and cut the tobacco, you can avoid dottle. The flavors remain dominant with no dull or harsh spots all the way to the finish. Leaves a very pleasant after taste. Not available in the United States.

May 31, 2012
Great review Jim!!!

:clap:

:!:
All I can say is that I absolutely love the stuff.
Although it does seem to leave dottle more often than Warrior Plug,

for me at least.
The flavors are outstanding though!

:puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have more trouble avoiding dottle with Velvan Plug than I did Warrior Plug, too. But, it's worth my time to work with this tobacco. And yeah, the flavors are outstanding. Wish I had more than just a small sample.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
misterlowercase: well, I managed to smoke it to a fine gray ash this time with very little trouble. Hardly any moisture, too. I cut it into small, thin flakes, and it did very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.