Jim's Tastykake Review.

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JimInks
  • Latest reply from Philo Beddoe
  1. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Virginias and matured Carolina form the base of the blend, though the role they fill is just above being a background player. They provide some grass, citrus, dark fruit with a light tanginess and a “barbecue” fermentation along with a touch of earth. The deeply rich, smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia takes a light lead over the smoky, woody, earthy, spicy, floral, buttery and dry sour Turkish and Orientals. The spicy raisiny, plumy perique competes with the spice from the Turkish, and its last two attributes offer some added nuances. The sugary black cavendish adds a light smoothness. The strength level is just past mild to medium. The nic-hit is just shy of the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite, and has no harsh or dull moments. This krumble kake is very easily broken apart to suit your packing preference. Well balanced and more nuanced than its brother blend, Ten to Midnight, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a rich sweet and savory, mostly consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lingering rich after taste. Not quite an all day smoke, but close enough than an experienced smoker may consider it to be one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review, Thanks for posting.

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review and things are looking up as I did taste the dark fruit in this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine arrived today and I'm burning my first bowl.
    It is as Jim said, spot on, as usual, even if I don't really taste the base components, I do taste the Perique, behind the Lat and Orientals/Turkish (Izmir?) I say this is more savory than sweet, and sweet is really an impression you get in the entire meld, more of a background note.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

smoky, woody, earthy, spicy, floral, buttery and dry sour Turkish
    Whoa! I'm feelin' adjective overload here. Well, if all of that is in it, I guess you gotta say so.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez: the description covers both the Turkish and the Orientals. It was much easier to combine the qualities of two varietals rather than to figure out what levels of each flavor aspect are derived from which tobacco. Not sure I could accurately do that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Inks, great review, as always!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

I "get it", Jim. I try to write reviews and I know it can be really difficult to communicate what one experiences.
    And there is the constant battle between generalization and over-specification. As a reader, I appreciate a
    detailed listing, as, for example, when I'm looking for something "buttery" (as you noted above). Yet, as a
    would-be reviewer, I often feel I'm belaboring a description that could have more easily read "a dense and
    complex palette of Oriental flavors". I really don't know which approach is best.
    I guess the takeaway of this post is to acknowledge the effort that goes into parsing out a blend's attributes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cortez: For myself, I would find the description "a dense and complex palette of Oriental flavors" problematic because many of us may know what that means to one degree or another, but for those who aren't conversant with the flavor properties of particular tobacco varietals, it would be too vague, and less helpful. I find it better to be as descriptive as I am able, and look for a concise way to do it so it won't turn into one of those long and winding road reviews.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always like reading your tobacco reviews Jim. However, with this one, I had already ordered some to try before reading your review of it and after smoking a couple of bowls, I realized that I can't always taste the complexity of some blends like you do. What I do know is that I really liked Tastykake and went and ordered some more!
    Thanks for your input on this blend, as I will be referring to it as I smoke some more.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley: I thank you for the kind words. Tasting and figuring out what you are tasting comes from studying the properties of tobaccos and smoking bunches of different blends, smoking different varietals straight, and a lot of time, which in my case will be 43 years come June 20. I've also had the good fortune to learn about these things from blenders like Russ Ouellette, Mark Ryan, and retired Sutliff blender Carl McAllister. Can't even begin to define how much I learned from them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tastykake seems to have disappeared from the P&C site.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

From the TR website for Tastykake:

A few years ago, when Russ was still pressing tobaccos himself, he made a new blend based off 10 to Midnight, but with some perique and black cavendish added to it. He had made up a large batch, but for some reason, it never wound up being put on the website. When we rediscovered it, samples were passed around the office and we knew that we had to make it available. In fact, Eric enjoyed it so much, he said we should name it Tastykake. There's a limited amount made, so you'll want to get some right away if you love latakia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, I snoozed, I loozed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw Tastykake and immediately thought of Butterscotch Krimpets.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got to see Butterscotch Krimpets being made at the Tastykake plant on Hunting Park Ave in Philly. It was an eye opener. The Krimpets move so fast down the line that if something goes wrong, they end up with 20 pounds of mushed Krimpets before they can hit the STOP button. They had huge carts full of smashed Tasykake rejects that went to a pig farm in Delaware. They wouldn't tell exactly where all the pork ended up, but I thought that would be a fantastic co-branding opportunity: Tastykake Bacon

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And with all the additives in such confections as TastyKakes, the bacon from said pigs or hogs wouldn't need additional chemicals!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Butterscotch infused bacon......

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipehunter, monkeylyf, mikethompson, npod, pappymac, mtwaller