PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff 1849 is a soon-to-be released VaPer. Here's my review:

The tangy sweet red Virginia short ribbon is complemented by the citrusy sweet bright flue cured Virginia thin flake. The red Va. is the most obvious of the two Virginias. The perique is both granulated and ribbon cut, offering some sweetness with bursts of pepper. Burns well with few relights; smooth and dry with no dottle, and no discernible topping. A pleasing all day mild to medium VaPer for those who want some spice during their smoking day. It's also tinned in the MacBaren style.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Sutliff 1849 sounds great.
I am currently working on a "tin" of Sutliff Golden Age; I am not impressed. I had almost given up on Sutliff for Virginia/Perique blends, but absolutely love their mastery of English blends.
Sutliff 1849, I can't wait...but have to I guess.
Thank you, Jim, for another fine review.
I am surprised that Sutliff has not contracted you to write their descriptions. Sutliff's current descriptions are very verbose but never talk about the product, just the name of it; such a waste of copy space.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Zekest: I can see your point regarding Golden Age, which has about as much perique as Germain's Royal Jersey with Perique. Sutliff 1849 has a much higher percentage of perique, and I think you'll find it more to your liking.
I have written a couple of tin descriptions: one for EGR, and the other for the upcoming 1.5 ounce tins of Heine's Blend.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Jim, thanks for the review. I picked up a couple of tins of 1849 last week, and am looking forward to firing up my first bowl.
The last month has been a voyage of discovery for me in the world of VaPers and VaPerBurs. I've really been enjoying the variety of flavours and tastes I've been discerning in different blenders approach to these tobaccos.
So far my favourites in this style of blend are:

- HU tobacco's Dockworker

- GLP's Haddo's Delight
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.