PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've been so busy with work lately that I forgot to post my admittedly self indulgent anniversary notices. June 20th was the 40th anniversary of my being a pipe smoker. The first pipe I smoked was my father's late 1950s smooth with etched grooves straight Willard long stem adjustomatic Billiard. On June 25 1974, I bought and smoked my first pipe, which was a 1974 a smooth three quarter bend Dr. Grabow Omega. In both pipes, I smoked Borkum Riff Whiskey. They may not be world changing events, but for me, in many ways, there were life changing, and I wanted to share it with you folks.

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
Congrats on the anniversary. An awesome story. Unfortunately I don't recall the day I started smoking a pipe but I know it was in the fall of '97 so roughly 17 years ago with a bit of a hiatus in between. I wish I still had those pipes, they were lost in a move. Either way, thanks for sharing the story with us!

Cheers!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Congratulations! And those may be a little self indulgent too, considering how much pipe knowledge and blend details we get from you. May you have 40 more years Jim!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Congrats Jim! I wish I had stayed with the pipe when I first flirted with it--about 40 years ago.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats. It's amazing how fast the years go by. I've been smoking a pipe for 44 years and often think about the blends that have come and gone over those years.

I really enjoy reading your reviews so keep them coming.

All the best,

John

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Congrats Jim!

I can't remember the exact date I first lot a pipe, but it was around late 2007 to early 2008.

I do remember that it was Captain Black White in a borrowed Dr. Grabow billiard.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Congratulations jimiks! I'll be glad when I've been able to stay alive for 40 years, let alone stick with a hobby that long!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Congrats Jim. Always enjoy your reviews! Let's see now, I'm 56, started at 55....Hmmh...I'll be....OMG...when my 40th arrives. Started way too late :crying:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Congrats, Jim--that's a lot of years of pipe smoking pleasure. Most of us started with an inexpensive pipe and tobacco and worked our way up. The reviews you pits help many pipe smokers understand a bit more about tobacco, and how to select the right blend. Keep it up!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I mention on the broadcast my all time favorite is the :worship: VaPer Three Nuns. Others are St. James Flake, FVF, Strang, Balkan Sobranie, Stonehaven, Tilbury, Dunhill Navy Rolls, the Murray's Dunhill Elizabethan (not the current version), HU Director's Cut, Edgeworth Slices (and the ready rubbed version) and several more. Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. Of course, I like EGR, too.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Happy anniversary, Jim. I always look for your reviews. I learn something each time I read one.
I began smoking a pipe in 1962, took a 10-year break beginning in 1978, and haven't looked back since my return.
My first pipes were drug store jobs, along with SWR or PA. Grainger was in there, as were some other blends that are gone now.
Congratulations Jim. May you have 40 more.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Congratulations on your piping anniversary and I must say I was astounded at your ability to recall exact dates during the course of your pipe smoking career while I was listening to the podcast this evening. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you on future episodes!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Congrats Jim. I agree HU Director's Cut is amazing. I got a sample from a member and loved the stuff. Really need to get my hands on more. It's very unique in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.