Jims Revised Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have seen a fair amount of discussion regarding the re-release of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Now that I have been able to compare the new with the older version, I rewrote my review to reflect the differences.
Original review: It came in a medium wide strips that were very easy to rub out or fold and stuff depending on your preference. I tried it both ways and noticed no flavor difference. There was some natural sweetness that complimented the deep Kentucky taste, but I would not label this a sweet tobacco, per se'. It did have some nuttiness and spice for the Kentucky, though it was not as bold as other Kentuckys I have smoked. The Red Virginia was tangy sweet with dark fruit notes. The bright Virginia was citrusy, slightly grassy and mild in a supporting role. The licorice topping was mild with a hint of molasses. Burned slowly with consistent flavor and left just a little moisture in the bowl. Had a nice after taste that pleasantly lingered.
Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong is a good substitute, but I thought it not quite as complex as the Orlik, though it looks exactly the same. I doubt I'd have noticed much difference at all, except that I taste tested back in the day. Orlik's blend was just a tad more complex, slightly nuttier, and very barely sweeter than the Heinrichs' mixture, and had a touch less molasses. Also had just a shade more red Virginia and licorice.
Updated review 7-10-2015: The new version of Dark Strong is different than what I used to smoke in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The flakes are shorter and not as wide as the it had been. This version has virtually no red Virginia that I can see or really taste. There is a hint of dark fruit and tanginess that may come from it, but if it is present, it's certainly well hidden. I don't think it's here. There's much more citrusy bright Virginia in here, probably to replace the red Virginia content. The amount of Kentucky is just slightly less than before, though it has the same flavors I attributed to it in my earlier review. The licorice topping is stronger, and sublimates the tobaccos much more so than in the earlier incarnation. Can't really taste any molasses in this one either. Burns the same, and the after taste is stronger due to the topping.
Peter Heinrich's version has changed, too, and in the same way the Orlik DSK has, except the topping is mostly molasses with less licorice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jim, you sound less pleased with the new version. Does it suffer by comparison, or is it just not to your liking?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO489: As you know from a previous conversation, in a review, I much prefer to let my experience speak for itself and let the reader judge from that. But since you asked me a direct question, I'll give you a direct answer. I am definitely less pleased with the new version. I dearly loved the old version. The new has less or no red Va., much more bright Va. and the topping is strong and sublimates the tobaccos to a greater extent than the earlier version. Too much licorice now for my personal taste. I let the tobacco breathe for a while and it was a little better, but it's not like the previous manufacture, which I used to smoke, and still have two 100 gram tins from 2002.
I'm aging the PH Dark Strong that I have: one 200 gram tin from 2002, three 100 gram tins from 2011, and one 200 gram tin from 2013. I don't expect much to happen because the topping which reduce the effect of age, but we'll see how it goes when I get around to them. This version has less licorice, so I expect to like it better.
I added this caveat to my review at TR.: Due to the changes in ODSK, I've changed my rating. Four stars for the older version and two and a half for the new, which I rounded down to two.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, thanks for taking the time to review this blend. I honestly did not get much red virginia flavors in the old blend as I would not have been able to smoke it if there was a lot in it. I got no bite from the old one. Now granted the last old tin I smoked was a 1997 tin that I cracked in 2012, so if there were a lot of reds in that they were quite subdued. I have no memory of getting bitten by this blend back in the early 2000's. Now in contrast the PH DS bite the crap out of me when I tried it in 2012, but didn't back in 2001 and around there when I smoked a couple of tins. I don't know if my allergy to the reds is just more severe now or what.
I personally love this new blend and find it to be very similar to the old one. I believe this is going to age incredibly well, and I have begun to cellar it. I have one 100 gram tin of the original dated 1997 that I will crack soon, but in the meantime, I will smoke the new stuff and enjoy the hell out of it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harris: I well remember the streaks of red in the old version. They were well melded into the Kentucky, along with some bright Va. I wouldn't say there was a lot of red, but you could see it, though the taste was subdued by the Kentucky and light topping. Either you were less sensitive to red Va. back then, or perhaps how it was processed reduced the aspect of what agitated you when you smoked it? Or maybe both?
I was disappointed because I wanted it to be just like what I used to smoke and it's not. The new version is decent, but not something I would stock. Less licorice would help. But I am glad it works for you, and I wish it worked for me. I used to smoke a lot of it back in the late '90s and early 2000s.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks for taking the time to reviews, Jim. I want rush to add this to my cellar. Got too many blends in the batter's box as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.