Jim's Revised Amphora Red And Brown Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Recently, Sutliff sent me pouches of MacBaren's Amphora Original (Brown) and Amphora Full Aroma (Red) for review. As the new manufacture I have received is very fresh, virtually having come straight from the processing line to my door, I noticed a few differences because the tobacco is fresher than what I have smoked in the past. The toppings are a little stronger and sublimate the tobaccos a little more due to that freshness. They were still very good, but I decided to dry out the tobacco a bit to see what would happen. I discovered that the effect of dry time resulted in delivering the very same taste I was experiencing all these past years, and that I had never smoked the Amphoras when they were freshly made. I have rewritten my reviews to reflect all of this.
If you have smoked the Original and/or the Full Aroma, in recent years, you will find that nothing has changed in the composition of the blends. Whether you decide to dry them or not, I found both blends to be full of flavor as always in either direction you go. Both blends, now owned and made by MacBaren, are scheduled for February release in the USA after a more than twenty years absence.
Amphora Full Aroma (Red):

The topping has some flowery floralness as well as a deep fruitiness that includes orange and raspberry, the latter being more prominent. There's a little grass, earth citrus and dark fruit from the Virginias. The burley is earthy and nutty with natural sweetness, though the toppings sublimate the last two characteristics of the burley. The Kentucky is woody, little smoky, nutty, and earthy in a minor role. The strength and taste falls just shy of the medium mark. Has a mild nic-hit. The tobacco is ribbon cut with a little broken flake in the mix. It won’t bite even when pushed. Fresh or dried, it burns well with few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room note are very pleasant. An all day smoke with a very cool, smooth, and slight creamy consistent flavors.
The flower topping diminishes a little, while the fruit toppings and tobaccos become a little more obvious when dried. Your personal preference will dictate your preparation.
They call it "full aroma" and indeed it is. Some mistake "full" for being strong. This isn't. It's full of flavor, but not strong in the sense that experienced pipe smokers would classify it as a "strong" smoke. However, the room note is full, and maybe that's what they mean by the description. Goes well with anything you drink and anything you do.
Amphora Original (Brown):

The rich chocolate topping is obvious without overwhelming the tobaccos. The burleys have a toasted nuttiness along with earth and a little molasses, and takes a little more of the lead than the grass, earth, and citrus from the Virginia. In a support role, the Kentucky has a little smoky woodiness with a bare hint of spice. The Oriental is lightly floral with a little smoke and wood, plus a very minor sour note as it playfully lingers in the background. The strength and taste is mild to medium. Won’t bite even when puffed fast. The nic-hit ranges between mild and moderate. The tobaccos are ribbon cut with a little broken flake. The blend is subtly complex with a very cool, clean and smooth, fairly consistent flavor from start to finish. The only change in flavor I have ever noticed is that the burleys and Kentucky seem to stand out just a little more after the half way point. Has no dull or harsh spots. Requires few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and pleasant room note. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses.
If you give it any dry time, you will find the tobacco flavor more noticeable without totally losing the chocolate topping. I dry it, and my review reflects that experience. Fresh and moist, you will find the tobaccos are mildly sublimated by the topping as I previously noted.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Last time I tried Amphora was in the early 70s. Even then I was used to smoking quality blends from a tobacconist store, so I was unimpressed by the cheap blending burley and generous dose of topping and PG that characterized all drugstore blends from start to goopy finish.
That said, I admit that all your reviews are so well-written they have compelled me to re-try blends which I detested years ago. So far I have perservered through a 14-oz can of ERR, and a tin of EGR, which thankfully I was able to procure in the 1.5-oz size, so it was a far less torturous experience than ERR. Sounds now like a pouch of Amphora is inevitable :D Think I'll go with the original. The full aroma sounds a bit over the top for me.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Yippee! Thanks for the great early reviews. I have been waiting impatiently for Amphora's return to the USA. Do you know if the Green (Rich Aroma) is also coming back here? :puffy:

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
In 1984 and for the next few years thereafter, Amphora Red was my favourite tobacco to smoke. At the time, in Eastern Europe, it was also considered to be a premium tobacco. I liked it then and wonder what I would think of it now, since for the past 20 years I have been smoking Virginia tobaccos exclusively… . I have not tried a flavoured (aromatic) tobacco since 1991.

Might be an interesting experiment…..

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Lobrox: since MacBaren now owns all the Amphoras, I would think the others would show up some time, but I haven't heard any news on that.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Tried some Amphora Red today, must say it is quite tasty, great room note, and as you said, doesn't bite even if one is a bit careless with the cadence. That part is a welcome change from all the VAs I've been smoking lately!
I can see why it's so popular, think I'll add it to the rotation.
Trying to distill from your review what the salient difference(s) is/are between Red and Brown (the latter is I believe what I smoked back in the day and didn't warm up to, but I don't remember why now).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm halfway thru my first pack of Original, and I have to say that your review describes it with uncanny accuracy and completeness. You are gifted with a keen palate and wonderfully expressive pen. :clap:

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm also expecting a pouch of Amphora Full Aroma any day now. It looks like it will be a much improved aromatic than my last, Skandinavik Mixture. It wasn't bad but it was just smell, no taste at all. It is also the only available pipe tobacco in my town along with Skandinavik White, Aromatic and Clan. Not much choice so that's why I have to order online and then wait.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Great review! I've been looking for a few aros to throw into my rotation. I'll have to grab a pouch each of these and see how I like them. Based on your review, they sound interesting to say the least.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Updating, still working my way through pouch #1 of Amphora Red, which I have renamed Amorphous Dread. I liked the 1st bowl, but perhaps the outermost tobacco in the pouch was dryer than the middle, because I'm finding now it's harder to keep lit and if puffed even a little too fast it bites like a crocodile. I think also the outer part may have been shredded a bit finer because I'm now finding it more finnicky to pack also. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised or upset, after all it was always a drugstore blend and I shouldn't expect it to approach the quality of a high-end blend.
I probably need to do what I detest, which is lay it all out on a plate and let it dry an hour or so. And while I'm at it probably rub it out some too. Because the 1st bowl tasted very nice, I know it's got potential in there somewhere.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Just tried the Amphora Original Blend (Brown) and enjoyed it very much.

Jim, your review was spot on with this one (as they usually are).

I especially liked how the Orientals played against the spice of the Kentucky.

I'm already craving another bowl or three... :)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I picked up 2 pouches of each from the sales master himself Brian Levine. I smoked the Full Aroma, but am unable to tell you much about it as I was fighting a cold most of the weekend.

A few days to get over the funk and I'll get in some real time with both.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Amphora Special Reserve Black Cavendish just debuted on smokingpipes.com if anyone's interested.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
As always, Jim hits the nail right on the head. I haven't smoked Amphora since the early 70s, but given my high regard for Jim's reviews I'll try a pouch just for the heck of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.