PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias are earthy with a very light grassiness, mild citrus and stewed fruit, and an ever present hint of spice. The burleys are earthy, nutty, with a little molasses. It also has a slight toasty, woody quality. You can taste both varietals in nearly every puff, with the burleys occasionally being a little more prominent at times, especially in the last third of the bowl. The toppings have a light plum, but I notice the taste of fruity berries more often. After the half way point, it does diminish to some extent, but you'll taste it all the way through. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild, and seems to gain a little strength as you smoke away. The flakes are easy to manipulate as you please. Burns a little slow, and requires some relights, but not as many as you might expect. Won't bite even if you're a fast puffer, but I recommend a sipping pace to enhance the enjoyment the well balanced flavors. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste with a nice room note. An all day smoke that doesn't wear out its welcome during the day.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks Jim, this one is on my list. I just tried 3P and enjoyed that blend. There are similarities in what you're saying here and my experience with 3P.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice review Jim. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Would you consider it an aromatic. I do as even though the Va's and Burleus are there, the topping lasts the whole bowl.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would consider it to be a semi-aromatic because the tobacco flavor is predominant even with the topping, which does diminish just a little after the half way point. A semi-aromatic in the sense that a blend like MacBaren's Modern Virginia is.
And I am enjoying it. Thank you for the sample, Harris.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I tried University Flake for the first time last night. I'd like to try in some different pipes to find the optimum smoke, but I agree with many points of your review. Your more refined tobacco vocabulary nails it! You described my nicotine impressions perfectly.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wonderful review, and still one of my very favorite blends. The first few tins I ever had of it, nearly a decade ago now I think, were the original blend. The current version is not quite as good, but I still enjoy it very much.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I still need to try University Flake. I've heard many good things about it over the past couple years. With so many blends on my "to try" list; it's a blend I just haven't gotten to yet. Nice review, thanks for sharing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, my pleasure. I get your meaning on the if it is a straight aromatic or not. I only smoke it in one of my vabur pipes. I am getting ready to start dedicating more one pipe to one blend. I think UF will get it's own pipe soon as it is a unique flavor.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Love University Flake. I also get a little something like roasted malt as in a dark beer. Maybe it is possible I interpret the plum topping as such?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretty sure I'd like this from the careful description; the balance between Virginia and burley in a tobacco forward aro usually appeals to me.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Personally I thought it was....blah. Immediately jarred it up and look forward to revisiting it down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.