Jim's Peretti No. 8 Slice

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JimInks
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to Zitotczito, I got a healthy sample of this blend and as it was being discussed in this forum recently, I thought I'd post my review. Thanks for the tobacco, Tim.

The very nutty, earthy, lightly bready burley also provides a little molasses, a few drops of cocoa, and a couple splinters of wood. It competes with the lightly tangy, dark fruity, mildly citrusy, lightly earthy, hay/grass-like Virginia for attention, though the Virginia does form the base of the blend, and is the lead component. Most of the sweetness comes from the burley. The raisiny, plumy, spicy perique is an important condiment, though the spice note is not very strong, but it is constantly noticeable. I think there’s a touch of a cocoa topping in play as well. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. Well balanced with some complexity, you’ll notice most every aspect in every puff. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a deep, fairly rich, consistent flavor from start to end. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can almost be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim, I'll have to order a couple of ounces to try out, as this sounds right up my alley.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great and informative review, as always, Mr. Jim. I'll make it a point to get some soon.

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've asked you before but I'll ask this again, how does it compare to some of the Watch City flakes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As all are made by the same company, there are similarities in flavors, though the Peretti No. 8 Slice is not as quite as deep or complex regarding the flavors as WC #558 or #556.. I actually find that to be a virtue because sometimes you need a break from very complex blends, and this one still has enough complexity and flavor to continually hold your interest. I'm finding I like it best in a pot, and I gave it four stars, which I don't often do.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

556 was made by C&D actually, from what I know. But as long as they are similar I'll have to try the WCC.

I am quite surprised how Sutliff can produce such good blends for other companies while their own ones are goop.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am quite surprised how Sutliff can produce such good blends for other companies while their own ones are goop.

"Their own ones" are the way they are because that's what the demand is. They're capable of doing whatever they need to do to depending on the product, clearly.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kanse: #556 is made by Sutliff. C&D hasn't made it in a long time. And as Tom just said, Sutliff goes where the market is regarding their own products, and they use the same quality of tobaccos in every blend they make, whether it's for their own products or for others. So does Lane. I don't have a problem with any of that, and obviously, much of the buying public doesn't either. And both companies make more than just aromatics. People being happy with what they smoke is all that matters, and I don't judge them by what they smoke any more than I do by what they eat. Just buy what you like is the best motto.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What about by which comics they read?

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom: if they don't read the ones I draw, we shoot 'em dead, man!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sutliff medium English is a very nice, non-goopy blend. Definition of underrated and under-appreciated.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sutliff medium English is a very nice, non-goopy blend. Definition of underrated and under-appreciated.

It's an excellent smoke. Also, it's very much appreciated by smokers who are smoking it under another label or two.

Sutliff supplies leaf for a number of much loved blends that are released under other labels, and does blending for a number of other labels. They produce goopers because that's a huge market. Thinking that they're somehow a middle tier supplier of indifferent leaf is not thinking at all.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dmcmtk, cdmjr, pianopuffer, bushpipe81, kilroyjune6, elasmo, jravenwood