PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The burley does show through the toppings at times, and is a little nutty with a slight sharpness when it does. It reminds me of the base burleys in Heine’s Blend. The sweet toppings have a number flavors mixed in, including wintergreen, licorice (lots of that), sarsaparilla, vanilla, possibly pineapple, etc. The perfume and soap others mention is certainly ever present. I can see this appealing to smokers who like lakeland scented tobaccos. Burns fairly well with a consistent taste, though it may need some dry time. Doesn’t bite. The after taste seems a little more sour than the taste you get while smoking. How you rate it obviously depends upon whether or not you like the toppings, and while many hate it, it’s popular enough to continue production. Because it’s such a polarizing blend, I rate it two out of four stars in an effort to be objective in my rating.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yikes...that's for a day when I'm really bored and daring, sounds like...

I guess that would be a lot of days.

Thanks for another professional review, Jim.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the review! Ultimately, I think it's just an old fashioned blend that has simply gone out of style.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jim, that stuff is disgusting and how it remains in production is mind boggling to me and many others. Your review is kind which tells me that you are a gentleman. For those of us who enjoy Lakeland blends there are other options that will satisfy. That you give it 2 stars show that you are a forgiving person.

Dec 24, 2012
The first review of Mixture 79 I have read that doesn't compare it to smoking a urinal puck. That in itself is a herculean feat.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Aristokles: I think objective reviews tell people more than what my opinion would. This way, you know what's in there, what the tobaccos and toppings are, and how the blend smokes. I think that's more important than giving my personal opinion because this way, you know what the blend is, and can make up your own mind whether or not you think it's worth trying. I've written positive reviews for some blends that didn't fit my personal flavor profile at all and wouldn't spend a penny on acquiring. But if a blend is good in its genre, I go for that and not if I like or dislike it. If I rated everything according to my personal tastes, my reviews would be much different than they are, and I believe less helpful, too. I much prefer an objective look. But, I'm that way with most things in my life.
Now, if we were at a bar or pipe show or on the phone, and you asked me what I thought of such-and-such blend, you'd get the subjective with the objective. That, I would feel more comfortable with.

OK, so when Jim gives something a 2, then run! ha ha!

Did you notice a cardboard burning taste? I got that when I tried to smoke it, like a light back of the throat cardboard.
If you forgo any subjectivity, how do you give it a rank at all? I'm baffled by the notion that you could detest something and give it a good rank. And, by taking whether or not someone else might like it, doesn't that take on a subjectivity based on the opinions of others?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
dvrguns: I wonder what you found so funny?
Cosmic: you are hell bent on proving I can't be objective, aren't you? I'm not interested in having another go 'round with you on this, except to say you can't post a review at TR.com without ranking the tobacco. That part is as objective as I can be, though I would actually prefer not to have to rank it because there is more subjectivity in it than there is in a written review.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I admire your effort to be objective but any raking is by its nature somewhat subjective. Your 2 is another's 4. I'm not sure we can really escape our biases but I'll give you an "A" for trying. When I look tobacco reviews I usually will go first to a blend I like and then look for people sharing that perspective. Then I'll look to see what they might have said about the blend I'm researching. I count on shared subjectivity to give me better feel for the blend. Just a little different perspective you might consider.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Gloucesterman: I agree that it's very difficult to rank a blend without some subjectivity, and I would prefer to avoid doing so, but no choice is left to me. The best I can do is to rank a blend against others in that genre, and I don't believe it is possible to be more objective than that considering the guidelines. In the case of Mixture #79, I gave it two stars as a compromise between those who hate it and those, admittedly few by percentage, who like it. I felt by stating in the review that it was a polarizing blend would leave room for people to make their own determination about the product. That was the best way I knew how to note the controversy.
I understand very well your point about subjectivity giving you a better feel for the blend, and certainly would not discount that opinion for a second. It's valid. However, we have all seen so many of them, and as can be expected, opinions can vary so widely when it comes to an individual's personal taste. I do my level best to look at the good and the bad of things with as little subjectivity as my nature allows. I find I get better information that way. That's what works for me. I'm not saying it's perfect, and trusted opinions count for a lot (few, if anyone, can survive in this world without them), but I'd rather do it the way that I am most comfortable.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
One of the great benefits of having a forum like this is that we can share different perspectives without the need to be right. My intent was certainly not to criticize but rather to give a little different view of reviews and how they should be used and therefore how we should participate in that activity. I do count on the fact that people give a frank assessment from a very individualistic perspective. If I know you like the same things I like then I can generally infer that if you did or didn't like something I would probably think the same. I find that very helpful, probability much more so than something not so opinionated. It's a bell curve thing. Where do I usually find myself on that curve and what do others in that same position generally think about some blend. There is no "right spot" on the curve. There is just my spot and how others that share that spot find some product offered. For me that's the most important set of facts, not that we're right or not but rather if we share that same common perspective. It's the shard perspective that lets me come to some reasonable conclusion. I don't read reviews to make a determination. I read them to see what others determined. I can then make my decision based on that based on shared perspectives. If you understand what I'm suggesting, you'll understand why I'd rather have you say I hated this stuff that I would have you be neutral about it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Gloucesterman: I agree with everything you said, even the last sentence where you say you'd prefer my opinion. I particularly like the bell curve analogy. And I surely do understand why you want a definitive opinion from me from your perspective. I just don't feel comfortable writing them. Call me up, meet me at a show, and I'll tell you in no uncertain terms what I think of any blend you care to ask me about. But in reviews and the biographies I write, I prefer the other perspective. I've always been like that. And having written that way for the past twenty years, it suits my style best.

Status
Not open for further replies.