Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The tangy, ripe dark fruity, earthy, woody red Virginia takes a lead over the lighter Virginia, and also sports a little sugar. The light Virginia provides a bit of citrus, light grassiness, and a couple pinches of spice and a bare hint of floralness. The proportions of the Virginias vary from flake to flake, so there is a small inconsistency in how you will perceive the inherent flavors of the tobaccos. Having written that, it should be noted that they meld fairly well, and you’ll observe every nuance in every puff to one degree or another. There is a very slight hint of “vinegar” from the tobaccos that barely make their way into the experience, and very quickly disappears. Although this manufacture isn’t as deep in flavor as some other McClelland Virginia offerings, there’s a couple subtleties present that some of them lack. The nic-hit is just past the mild mark. The strength level is a couple steps shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste almost reaches that threshold. No chance or bite or harshness exists here. The product is a little moist, but it needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean and a little slow as flakes tend to do, but they are easily broken apart to suit your packing preference. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can easily be an all day smoke. Has great age potential. Three and a half stars out of four rounded up to four.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sells fast. It was gone by the time I got back to smokingpipes and sold out at 4noggins while I was browsing to see if I wanted anything else. Go shopping with a quick trigger finger.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have ten tins in my closet. May let them age for a few years before cracking one open.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I have not yet been able to get my hands on any.

Is this a "one and done" release, or will it be released in waves, like Christmas Cheer was?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't know for sure, but I suspect more will make its way to the market. Just a hunch.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Have ten tins in my closet. May let them age for a few years before cracking one open sending some to Sasquatch."
Maybe the mods can fix up your typo, Embers.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
My b & m had 2 in stock. I grabbed one. I'm in KC and the owner is great friends with mike mc Neil I figured if anyone had it they would Jims review is spot on as usual. In full disclosure Mc clelland has pretty much not made a blend I didn't like especially their virginias. You can tell this one is mc clelland with slight differences Jim noted but what stands out to me is how smooth, rounded, and melded it already is. I'm getting more I believe it will age unbelievably well.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Jim for the review.
How do you think they compare to the 2016 and 2017 Christmas Cheer tins that I missed out on?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Fitzy: I have not tried the 2016 or 2017 Christmas Cheer, but the 40th Anni doesn't taste like any Christmas Cheer I ever smoked. It's a different blend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As I posted in a related thread...

A great big THANK YOU to zitotczito for supplying Jim with a tin to review. :clap:

...Not that Tim couldn't have reviewed it very capably himself, but rather, recognizing that Jim is sort of a benchmark reviewer.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, I owe Tim for the chance to smoke the blend. My TAD was murdered in Chicago by my PAD.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Jim,
Can you compare it to the "typical" Christmas Cheer? That is, what makes you say it's unlike any Christmas Cheer? Where do you sense the difference?
Thanks as always!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Generally, Christmas Cheer has a higher spice content (not that it has a high one to begin with), a little deeper red Va. flavor, and the "barbecue" essence. The 40th Anni is a gentler smoke with different flavor nuances and has a tad more wood. You'd never mistake one for the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.