PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This reminds me a bit of MacBaren's Scottish Flake with a few differences. I find this to be a little spicier and I get that in every puff, which indicates to me that there's a little more dark fired Kentucky here. The taste is more consistent here than it is in SF, too. I get a variety of flavors, ranging from nuts, a little honey, bread, earth, and a hint of grass. The sweetness comes from the gold and black cavendish, Virginias, burleys, and a light topping. Smokey, woodsy, tangy, and creamy notes play well with the tongue, offering a slow, cool and dry burn rate with very little moisture at the finish. I found it sweeter when I sip at a moderate pace. This is a blend that deserves more attention when you smoke it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I agree for the most part Jim. Although my tastes are not on par with yours, I can tell there is a lot going on with this one.

I've not smoked all of Mac Baren's flakes and coins, but I'd say I've had 90% of them, and out of those, I find this to be the sweetest one (when sipped slowly).

I have some in rotation, and several tins in the cellar. It's definitely a very good smoke!

Though when I want an exceptionally "sweet" flake, I always seem to find myself reaching for PS Luxury Twist Flake (several pounds of that in the cellar).
As usual, great write up Jim!

Status
Not open for further replies.