PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is officially being released today, and since I was the first person in the U.S. to taste test it, I get to post the first review.
The hot pressed flake breaks apart very easily though it needs to dry a few minutes first. It's creamy and smooth, and easy to keep lit. The Orientals have a nice spice flavor that isn't too strong, just right, and gets slightly more noticeable when you reach the half way point in the bowl. It's a tad sweeter than your average English, and I wonder if there's a touch of black cavendish in it, or is it just a very mild casing. I know there's no topping. There's an ample amount of Cyprian latakia without being overwhelming, providing a woodsy, smokey sweet flavor. The bright Virginias have a natural sweetness, and a very mild grass note as the core base for the other components to play off. The burleys are mildly sweet and nutty with a touch of earthiness. The flavor is consistent from first light to last puff with a very pleasing after taste. The rich complexity of this flake entertains the taste buds, and should appeal to aficionados of English blends who are looking for more than a dry smoke.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jim's reviews always hit the spot, and even though I'm off Latakia for the moment, I'll be in line when the stuff becomes available.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mr. English: I'd say it's slightly stronger in taste than ODF, and not as strong as Penzance. On reflection, I'd rate it just a tad stronger than Black House with more Oriental spice. I know m'lady hated the room note, but she also doesn't like the smell of many English blends.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Oh my, oh my. Sounds like a seperate cellar just for this one. Thanks Jim for your review and I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to get my hands on some. Unfortunately I won't be at the Chicago show so I'll have to bug my tobacconist to get on the "list". ;-)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
junkyarddawg: It's not yet. They were waiting until the Chicago Pipe Show. I'm sure they'll have some there, and if not, very soon after the show, it's supposed to be available for sale. I don't know more than that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This will be something worth trying when the dust settles a bit. Latakia flakes are few and far between (not crumble cakes like Penzance, but real flakes, like SG Balkan Flake and like I gather this is).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jud: this flake is much like Dunhill Flake in size and ability to tear apart.

Dec 24, 2012
Great review by Jim as always. Yeesh, not another tobacco to try and maybe cellar. I am going to try and get my paws on some of this stuff when I'm at the Chicago show in a few days.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I have sneaking suspicion that this will become one of my top blends. I recently tried ODF and loved it and im a huge latakia fan so this seems right up my street I may order a few tins from the us asap instead of waiting for the european suppliers to get it in, which I find odd because I live in ireland and mac baren is from denmark. But im sure I will ve able to get my hands on some of this. Thanks for the review jiminks.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just heard from Sutliff that Smoking Pipes will be carrying it right after the Chicago Pipe Show. Thought you folks would want to know.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
A great review, can't wait to get my hands on a tin or three!

Status
Not open for further replies.