Jim's Look at Current Wilke Tobacco Production.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I know quite a number of Pipeworks & Wilke fans have wondered if the new Wilke versions by John Brandt are different. Lately, I have been smoking the ones I am most familiar with: No. 10, No. 191, No. 515, No, 400, Rumcake, and Dummerston. I spoke with John, who told me that he is sticking with the original recipes, and is using the same sources for the tobaccos and flavorings. Based on my smoking experience with both versions of the aforementioned blends, I can’t tell any differences between what Carole Burns blended and what John Brandt is blending. Hope this information is useful to those who have been curious about the subject.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretty amazing to have a blend change blenders and end up with substantially the same flavor and characteristics, a rare and beautiful thing.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I remember buying "Gotham Court" and "High Hat" from Wilke when it was still on West 55th St. Loved that store and was always a class act. Miss Genaro?...the very friendly and patient store owner/manager? I made special trips into Manhattan just to visit Wilke. Miss that, very much.
Nice to know that the all those classy blends haven't changed.
Don't mess with success.
Thanks for the info.
Frank
PS: Anyone know if the Wilke version of "10 Downing Street" is similar to the old, discontinued, Lane Ltd version?

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I just went to buy some No. 10 and noticed it was discontinued. Anyone know why?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ram74: it wasn't a big seller, and John wanted to make room for older, discontinued blends that he wanted to bring back.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Too bad. Are any of the discontinued blends he is bringing back similar?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't know about similar, but some of them are world class in their own right. I suspect you'd be pleased by ones like Crystal Palace (which reminds me a little of BS 759), Sailor Jack, Surburg's Jackson, Surburg's West Minster, and No. 436. I have reviewed all of them, and in some cases, I have the only review posted at TR.com. Check them out and see if anything fits your preferences.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Maybe if you contact John, and he gets enough orders, he'll make another batch?

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Question:
Is Wilke's "10 Downing Street" similar to the old Lane Ltd. blend sharing the same name?
I guess the question is moot, because neither blend is available...but, I'm still curious.
Frank

NYC

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not to my knowledge, but only John would know the answer, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.