Jim's Latest William Conrad Pipe Acquisition.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had a big surprise at the West Coast Pipe Show this weekend. My friend Sablebrush, who gifted me the Conrad I have this past January, brought the other one he owned so I could see it. After holding it and drooling for a few minutes, Jesse said, "Smoke it." I said, "Really? Are you sure?" He said "Of course, go ahead." The guys at the table (Richard Gray and Jon Guss) teased me a little at the pure joy on my face as I smoked. I told him later I wanted to show it to Dennis, a well known collector and seller of Charatans, so Jesse said to hold on to it until then. The next morning (Sunday), Jesse said I should smoke another bowl in it, so I did. The word spread that I was smoking a William Conrad pipe and few people came over to me to see it. I showed it to Dennis Congos and the fellow (sorry, I can't recall his name) working his table with him. They were very impressed to finally see a Charatan owned by Conrad. The other guy wanted to know if it was for sale, and I was told to tell anyone who asked that it was not. I know he was disappointed.
Later on, when I was still smoking it, I was sitting with a few friends, and Jesse said that pipe really looked good on me. I smiled, and then he said, "You should own it." Well, shock, awe, surprise, and elation in interchangeable degrees must have registered on my face because it seemed to me that Richard and Jon were enjoying the moment quite a bit. Of course, I don't think they could have been as happy as I was, but it sure feels great to have good friends being very happy for you. And now, I own two William Conrad pipes. Wow!
Pics to come.

Reactions: Charly

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Had to look up who that is . Guessing he was the fat man in Jake and the fat man. Congrats on the cool gift

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Alan: Conrad was the original and best Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, and co-creator of the character on radio. Conrad named Doc Addams after cartoonist Charles Addams, and Doc on radio drank a lot and had a much darker sense of humor than the TV version. He narrated The Fugitive, Wild World of Animals, The Unexpected, Escape on radio, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and of course, was Cannon in that long running TV series. He was Nero Wolfe on TV, too. Directed a lot of TV shows in the '50s through the 1970s.
In the post WW2 era, Conrad was one of the most heard voices on radio. He was great!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You should have known something was going to happen as soon as you sat at the table. I can't imagine Jesse, Jon, and Richard NOT messing with you somehow. :lol:

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
George: Believe me, they gave me a load of it, all in fun, of course. We had such a great time together. But, honestly, I had no inkling Jesse was going to give me the pipe. He always said he was going to keep it, so there was no reason for me to think he'd change his mind. When he suggested I smoke, I just took it for granted that he wanted me to have a couple of smokes and enjoy that experience.
Btw, the job you did on Jesse's 1872 Barling was magnificent. The work of a true master.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's a couple of pix. Jim's a happy man.
FatL3kO.jpg

IlOEu1a.jpg

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Definitely a Sylvester the cat expression. A grin from ear to ear. What a wonderful thing to see. Congratulations Jim and way to go Jesse!
Richard

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.