banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Jim's John Cotton's Double Pressed Blends Reviews.

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by JimInks
  • Latest reply from blues4goose
  1. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are the two latest blends in the John Cotton’s series. These two blends go through several processes. They are pressed, then cut, and then pressed again into crumble cakes. We are approximately a couple weeks away from their official release.

John Cotton’s Double Pressed Kentucky:
    The smoky, woody, earthy, moderately dry, spicy and floral, nutty, mildly sweet dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, a little tangy dark fruit with hints of sugar, spice and floralness as an important condiment. The fermentation is a tad more obvious here than it is in the JC Double Pressed Virginia manufacture.The double pressing eliminates the sharpness and many of the rough edges one usually encounters with dark fired Kentucky, creating a fairly smooth, mellower, matured Kentucky/Virginia blend. The strength is a rung past the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step or two shy of the medium threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. It won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool, clean and a little slow. It has a very consistent, well balanced, fairly rich, modestly sweet (with a little savoriness) flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Almost an all day smoke, and the experienced veteran will likely consider it to be one. Those newer to dark fired blends will certainly find it repeatable. Has enough body, depth and nuance to continually hold your interest throughout repeat performances.

John Cotton’s Double Pressed Virginia:
    The various Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, hints of sugar, spice and sourness, and a little tangy dark fruit, along with a light floral, fermented quality. The double pressing eliminates any sharpness and rough edges, creating a mostly smooth, matured, rather mellow Virginia experience. The strength is in-between mild and the center of mild to medium. The taste is in that center. The nic-hit just passes the mild mark. Won’t bite or get harsh even if you smoke like a freight train. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool and clean at a slightly slow pace. It’s mildly sweet with a slight savory note, and has a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and does require a few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. By design, it’s a fairly easy going all day smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I can't wait to try both of them. Thanks for the reviews Jim.

Javan
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim! Do you think they're worth the premium price (P&C has them for $16 for a 1.75 oz tin) when compared to other blends in their genres?

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hap: that's a tough question to answer. It depends on your personal preference and your tobacco budget. I can only say that if they fit your flavor profile, then they are worth the money. With the FDA rules looming, I say you should try whatever interests you that you can afford. If it becomes something you like, stock up while you can.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Great review Jim! Looking forward to trying these two. Since they are already smoother and mellower I wonder how age will affect these blends? I guess only time will tell. Thanks again.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Jim had sent me his reviews prior to posting and I told him that his assessment matches mine to a 'T'. The Virginia is what I call "a Virginia for people who don't usually like Virginias" and the Kentucky has a fully matured aroma and flavor much like what you used to notice years ago when tobacco was extensively aged.

Russ

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

blues4goose

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a good introduction to those not yet skilled enough to truly enjoy VA dominant blends.
    I like JCs Smyrna, but I have noticed a touch of dry harshness in the back of the throat that's not there with other lat blends I enjoy. I hope to see some latakia crumble cake from them in the future to see if the pressing helps with that.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, krizzose, pianopuffer, mossdoug, pipeanddrum, frankrem, dontbeaburleyman, yuda, trouttimes, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, prndl, tolkienfan