PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Three Star Blue has been in continuous production and a top seller since the 1950s, and until now, it was only available at Iwan Ries. Sutliff, who has produced the blend for many years, is now nationally distributing it in order to reach a wider audience. I was asked to review it. As I have been smoking a freshly manufactured production, I’ve rewritten my previous review to reflect my latest thoughts on this tobacco.
The lightly fruity, grassy, citrusy sweet Virginia is the base of the blend. The very nutty, earthy, toasty burleys are the most noticeable component, and also provide a drop or two of molasses. The properties of the fire cured black cavendish are a smoothing brown sugar along with a touch of smokiness as a supporting player. There’s a minute amount of Cyprian latakia that offers a mild smokey, woody sweet push to the blend. In a minor role is some plum and a faint spice hit from the perique. The mildly applied vanilla topping has a light richness. I also observe a small amount of licorice, which has a light soap and floral perfume quality. The toppings do tone down the tobaccos a little as they work in concert to create a very consistent, harmonious flavor from start to finish. It won’t bite or get harsh, but I recommend a moderate puffing cadence to allow the various aspects of the mixture to shine. The strength and taste are just shy of being in the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is mild. Burns clean and dry at a reasonable pace, and requires few relights as it easily burns to ash. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers, and the room note is rather sweet. An easy going all day smoke that kind of leans in the direction of an aromatic English without reaching that level.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sounds intriguing. The only thing that throws me off is the soapy licorice thing, but overall the blend sounds both complex enough and mild enough to fit right in where I like most of my blends to be. It'll definitely get onto the "to order" list soon.
Thanks for the comprehensive review.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dottie: the soap is probably closer to being a hint more than anything else. It's really just enough to notice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Superb review. Right on the crosshairs. Now how am I supposed to refrain from ordering that? I enjoyed a boxed pouch of Three Star Blue about five years ago and found it harsh out of the box, but improved over time, until I really liked it. It sounds as if it is good now right out of the pouch. I was interested when it popped up on my B&M shelf a few months ago, and even more intrigued when it appeared on smokingpipes.com, at $14 and change at first, and now (kind of mysteriously) at $15.03. It's an interesting convergence of an aromatic blend -- remember aromatics are about 95% of the pipe tobacco market -- and an English blend. When I first tried it, I did not experience it as a codger blend at all. It's pretty refined in its way, with an Americano twang. Because it is a fairly complex blend (...that's not codger-like), I'd want to use a broad-bowled pipe like a pot, prince or an author, to get as much of all of the constituent tobaccos, and flavorings, going at once, for a balanced, even flavor experience. Since Three Star Blue appeared in the 1950's, it seems likely to remain on the market. Thanks, jiminks. Many of those who sample this blend will want to smoke it again.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have smoked this blend for more than 40 years and the most recent purchase (2014) was pretty much the same as way back when. Good evaluation and a steady blend for just about any time.

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
A local shop had it in stock in Nw Indiana...I came home and looked at reviews online and I didn't read

Anything that said that this was a must have...maybe I'll try it after your review

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an excellent blend among the very mild aromatics, especially given that I am mostly a non-aro smoker and go for fuller strength, but this one holds its own as a change of pace for me. I ordered a pouch and next time around may opt for the tin/tub. It's one of the grand old blends from the great old 1857 pipe shop Iwan Ries. This blend has been around since the 1950s, and it's easy to see why.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Every offering I have tried from Sutliff is, IMHO, the nastiest crap I have ever put a match to. I quit trying anything they offer about 10 years ago, don't think this will be any different

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review Jiminks.
I received a box at some point when I ordered my first pipe from Iwam Reis, a Mastro de Paja. Turned out to be one of my favorite pipes and the first of many de Pajas I have purchased since. It was only around $100 dollars but smokes as good as any of the de Pajas I own.
I smoked a pipe of the Three Star Blue at the time but was not pleased with it. I think I cellared it. If so, when the time is available I will dig it out and give it a better trial. It has been aging for quite a while so it may have mellowed from the harsh taste that comes to mind of that experience. My palette has changed considerably from that time and that may play a role in its favor also. :wink:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Okie: I tried it a couple years ago, and wasn't overly thrilled with it. I noticed then it could get a harsh note if puffed fast. But, having tried a fresh pouch and smoked at a moderate pace, I changed my mind. As an experiment, I smoked one of the bowls during this current reviewing stage faster than usual, and experienced no harshness at all. I also thought the flavor was a little better, so I'd say its quality has improved since my earlier try at it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tried my first pouch -- they came inside a box a few years ago. At first it had an edge and I didn't like it, but after probably a year, I tried it again and it was quite good. This most recent pouch is better by far than either of the earlier versions. The four or five tobaccos are nicely harmonized, and the flavoring gives a nice accent but leaves the blend tobacco forward. Mild but flavorful.

Status
Not open for further replies.