Jim's Hayward Mixture Review: What Bing Smoked.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As the subject of what Bing Crosby smoked has come up several times in this forum, I thought I'd post my thoughts here. Many thanks to Pipedreamer for the healthy amount of tobacco he sent me for this review.
This product is no longer in production. It is the blend Bing Crosby smoked. Check out his "autobiography" Call Me Lucky, and you'll see a can of Hayward Mixture on his dressing room table in the photo section. There also exists a couple receipts in the Crosby archives for his purchases of this blend. He may or may not have smoked Crooner at some point, but there's no doubt about his smoking Hayward.
The burley is nutty sweet with a hint of cocoa, and stands out a little above the other components. The Virginia is grassy, citrusy sweet, and is the second star ingredient. In an important back up role is a fair percentage of latakia, which is smoky and mildly woody, and has what I can only describe as a "leather" note or two. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Well blended, you will notice every nuance in every puff from start to finish. Burns well, requiring few relights, and is cool and smooth with no bite and virtually no moisture in the bowl as it burns to ash. The burley seems to stand out more in the after taste than the other tobaccos, but not by much. A very pleasant all day American English mixture that wears well and easy on your tongue, it probably deserves three stars, but I give it two and a half because it lacks the depth and a little of the complexity of others in this genre like Walnut. I rounded it up to three stars because its virtues deserve more than a two star rating.
The formula was later changed to exclude the latakia, but I have not tried that version, so this review obviously pertains to the older manufacture.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Nice Job Jim on reviewing this old American English classic, I know the Bingle would be proud! Glad you enjoyed the Tobacco.

Cheers,--Eric :)

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks Jim. I really enjoy the quest for finding out what famous pipe smokers of the past smoked.
On the subject of "Walnut", I have latched onto the mid-town series Walnut match "Chestnut". I have adopted it as my "nostalgic" blend for when I want to imagine what Bing and others were smoking.
I really like this Chestnut review from the P&C website:
Far back in 1952, when I entered the University of Pennsylvania as a freshman, the campus bookstore had a counter display of Walnut, which was almost the mandatory tobacco for all the fraternity men and other university leaders of the time. In those happy days before political correctness, you could smoke all day, right through your classes, as did the professors also. I immediately took up pipe smoking and have continued it ever since. Walnut was my steady smoke all through college and for many years thereafter, so I can testify that Chestnut is a remarkably faithful re-creation of the tobacco which virtually defined a Philadelphian in the Fifties. Russ has as usual hit the nail right on the head. Chestnut is incredibly smooth and never bites, yet it is never boring, due to the complexity of its many constituent tobaccos. Thanks for bringing back so many pleasant memories, which after all is what pipe smoking is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.