PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias are grassy sweet with a touch of citrus, and a little earth. The Oriental /Turkish are very smoky, woody, and a little floral and spicy, all of which are noticeable in every puff. I get just a little cocoa, which may come from from a pinch of Kentucky, though that ingredient isn't noted in the description. Sometimes, it can come from a Turkish varietal. The Cyprian latakia is smoky and woody sweet and makes up a fair portion of the product. The unflavored black cavendish helps smooth out the rough edges with some creaminess. I'm not sure about the topping, but I sort of got a bourbon note from it. The fermentation this blend undergoes in the processing causes a little of that (and/or rum) type of sweet flavor, which makes it hard to identify the topping. While the vanilla and other sweet flavors keep this from being a lat-bomb, this blend has enough strength to please most experienced English smokers while being light enough on the nicotine to be a repeatable smoke during the day. It's not an all day smoke though. Burns cool and slow as a krumble cake will do with no dull or harsh spots. It needs to be smoked slowly or at a moderate pace. The tobaccos are well balanced so that you taste all the nuances in every puff, and I do recommend a wide bowl for this. Leaves very little moisture, though I find stirring up the tobacco in the last quarter of the bowl helps to burn it to a satisfactory finish. Has a very pleasant spicy after taste.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Maybe you puff it too fast? This needs to be smoked at a slow or moderate pace.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Try smoking it dry. Very dry. Just shy of dusting. It's a tightly pressed cake, and you should be able to rub it out without turning it to dust, but just barely. I find this gives me one the most enjoyable smokes that I've ever had, dry to the end.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My 8 oz. tin came to me fairly dry. I asked Russ about it, and he says that due to the nature of the blend, he was able to get it to compact quite well without moistening. The batch that I received was good to go right out of the tin.
I would imagine that If I left the tin open in the Pennsylvania summer, it would actually moisten up instead of drying out.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thank you for another useful and descriptive review. The more RO blends I try, the more I wonder about the ones I have not sampled. I was just considering getting a tin of this and the review sealed the deal.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Jim, Thanks for another great review. I have started bookmarking your reviews for ready reference.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Good review...sounds interesting, but the aromatic component to this blend sounds like it wouldn't work with me.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Tried it for the first time at the 2012 West Coast Pipe show and liked it so much I went online the next week and ordered several tins.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I recently bought an 8 oz. tin that was on sale from P&C due to their re-packaging of some of their tobaccos. I though it was a little dry when I opened the tin, but it smokes great!

Thanks for the review Jim, I agree with you on the flavors in this, but I could never detect a flavor I would attribute to a topping, but it's probably lurking in there somewhere. I just found it to be a yummy smoke for me, and am glad I got the 8 oz tin.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have heard a lot about this tobacco and I have never tried it. If I ever see someone with an open tin of the stuff I may ask them to let me give it a go. Whats the flavor like when compared to other blends?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I enjoy the flavor but find it difficult to get a pipe packed well. An accurate review. I recommend this blend for a very flavorful smoke. A blend with a very long finish.
Mike S.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for another great review, Jim. I have been meaning to try this blend, and now I certainly will. I am a big fan of Russ' work!

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Great Review, and good call outs on the smoke slow and dry.
Glad to see this one getting more call outs too, it is a good blend, but doesn't seem to get talked about as much as some of Russ's others.(I might just be a little late to the party though)

Status
Not open for further replies.