Jim's Greensboro News and Record Interview.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Well, I guess they didn't have anything better to do at my local paper, the Greensboro News and Record, so they did a short article about me and pipe smoking. You can click on the photos to see me if you're terminally bored.
http://www.news-record.com/1808greensboro/people/pipe-works-q-a-with-local-pipe-tobacco-connoisseur/article_33fb9a6e-0338-11e5-88bd-d76b7d7c9634.html?mode=story

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jim, when I washed up in Greensboro to attend the graduate writing program after serving in the Navy, on a minesweeper off Vietnam, Midway Island, and other duty stations, I became a daily reader of the Greensboro Daily News and the Record, when they were a morning and evening paper. That's a great feature story, a nice shout out for your visual arts career, and a fine bit on pipe smoking. I wanted to stay in Greensboro, but there were too many writers in the area, so I had to de-camp to Raleigh. I still have friends in the 'boro.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
JimInks:
Thank-you for posting this article! It is unfortunate that the Boy Scouts did not offer a Merit Badge for pipe-smoking, for you would have certainly won it.
I noticed in the accompanying images that you follow the European fashion of storing your pipes with the bowls upwards. Why is that?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Nice to see an actual newsprint article on smoking that isn't vilifying it in some way, shape or form and the reporter couldn't have found a better representitve of the hobby than our own jiminks. I can only imagine the readership setting at the breakfast table commenting on this guy who "has how many pipe?!" Lol. Way to go Jim!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hunter: the main reason is so they won't fall out of the rack. I always clean them before I put them back, too. It does make it easier to get them when I want one.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice little read for sure! Good to see an article written on pipe smoking in this politically correct age. :puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank you fellas for the very kind words. I was very happy the article was devoid of negative comments about pipe smoking.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I thank you fellas for the very kind words. I was very happy the article was devoid of negative comments about pipe smoking.
Yes, a short but simple positive article. About you, not some unnecessary social statement.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great article Jim; human and interested with a fair bit of detail involved - blend names/genres/tongue-bite(!). Also excellent relaxed images context. I know very little about journalism, but I would say that this is the type of piece that would draw someone to try our hobby - if so inclined - rather than deter them. Greensboro sounds like a cool place to live!
Andy

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very nice article Jim!
I like the second picture best ... a great capture in time of a funny moment. :)
Also, my pipes are stored bowls-up as well but in circular racks ... it's more handy to me too!

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Nice job Jim, we need more positive coverage of our wonderful hobby of Pipe smoking!
Eric

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Awesome article! I did not know that you were a North Cakalaki guy! I spent 10 of my 20 years and counting in the Corps bouncing between Havelock and Jacksonville N.C. I love N.C. and plan to retire there one day!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Booker: I appreciate the kinds words even if you don't like how I store my pipes!! :D :nana: I wish your son luck. Art is a very tough business now, so please encourage him to work as hard as he can.
Dulgunz: I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but have lived here most of my life now. North Carolina is a beautiful state to live in.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I know what your mean, I am originally from West Virginia. Although I love the mountains and not having anybody around for miles, I miss the hospitality from North Carolinians!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Excellent newspaper piece on you Jim.
You are the go-to for me when it comes to tobacco reviews. Thanks again for putting all that time into the reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.