PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The dark fired Kentucky is the star. Perhaps it's a little less spicy than some grades of DFK, but it has enough to satisfy the desire for it. It's very earthy, a little nutty, with a hint of sweet molasses. The red Virginia is tangy, earthy sweet with a touch of fruit, and is a nice supporting player. The bright flue cured Virginia offers a mild citrus and a milder grass note. Experienced smokers will notice that the processing melds the tobaccos so that you always notice the individual components, which undergo a little fermentation. Not as complex as it seems because the Kentucky does at times overshadow the other tobaccos, but it burns smoother than many blends with this high a percentage of Kentucky. As it is sold in plug form, it seems to be just a little sweeter and tangier because of fermentation than the ready rubbed version, but it’s not a night and day difference. Takes time to cut and prepare it to what ever your preference is, and may need a little dry time. It burns very slowly, requiring a number of relights. Leaves no real dottle, though you will have to stir up the bottom a bit to burn it all up. Leaves a little moisture which the ready rubbed version barely does.

• Love
Reactions: Black Crow

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi Jim:
Your review is spot-on. I distinctly prefer the plug over the ready-rubbed but that is simply taste, not a statement about superior quality of one over the other. I consider GLP JKP to be a dark fired forward blend.
Pax

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've had a plug of that sitting in a jar since 2013. One of these days, I'm going to pop it open and see what its about...

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the review Jim - really useful, as always. I haven't tried this yet, but it's on the list. How do you rate the strength of this blend? I've read different opinions, but this amount of Kentucky must generate some element of nic kick?
BTW - belated congratulations on passing the 10,000 posts mark. A real achievement! And I'm still looking for pipe tobacco from the Levant...
Andy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Andy: thanks for the congrats on the posts. I think the nic-hit is a little more than medium, and the strength is between medium to full. I know some rate it stronger than I do, but I've had stronger tobaccos.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jim, how similar is this blend to ODF? Your description brings odf to mind immediately. I suspect JKP would be somewhat flat in comparison without the spiciness from the malawi leaf but I'm just guessing.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It's not like ODF at all. It's less spicy, though I never considered ODF to be spicy in comparison to other blends. I sure wouldn't say JKP is flat. It's a more complex tasting product than ODF. If you are looking for really strong blends (I don't think ODF is really strong) like ropes and twists, no, this wouldn't do you.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for clarifying. That makes it sound even more intriguing. I'll have to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.