PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A very smokey, woodsy latakia-forward plug that’s easily broken up as you choose. The red Virginias are tangy sweet with some earthiness, and minor dark fruit notes. I get hints of cocoa from something here, and I’m not sure what causes it based on the tin description. The Oriental/Turkish offers a nice spice hit from start to finish. It’s not your typical lat-bomb because the other components add enough complexity to keep this from being one dimensional. It’s also smoother and creamier than your average lat-bomb, too. Slow burning, and with a slight dry time, will leave very little dottle.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Great review! I have a free sample coming to me from my latest order from SmokingPipes.com, and I'm looking forward to trying it! I hear it has quite a bit of nicotine - did you find it a good bit stronger that other GLP blends?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I appreciate the informed review. Like gtclark, I've got a sample coming in as well. Interesting about the cocoa note coming through because I've noticed the same thing with other balkan blends I've been trying and didn't know how to account for it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice job, Jim, as per usual. Good stuff for sure. I'm mid-way through my second of three tins I bought several months ago. Looks like Ill be restocking very soon.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Gt: yeah, it is, though I haven't tried but so many Pease blends.
Tuold: I've noticed that, too, and wondered about it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I've given up and now order Gaslight in 8oz tins. Go through it too fast, otherwise! You should have seen the crush when I took 4oz to the Pipe Club of London - like feeding time at the zoo! Everyone was civilised until one guy tried to sweep up everything that was left (about 1.5oz) and had to be made to put a load back for others. Ho hum...
Andy

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
There's still a tin of this in my stash and I plan on opening it this fall.
I want to be able to give it a good try as the sample I had left me underwhelmed.
Could have been taste burn-out at the time though as I was sampling like a mad man! 8O

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As always a concise review of another great (IMO) GLP masterpiece. I really think that chocolate note is coming from the Latakia and it's only a guess because I don't usually get that much complexity from these types of blends. Another Pease mystery I suppose.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Settersbrace: I've wondered if maybe a pinch of burley was in there, but I'm so uncertain and doubtful that I didn't feel I could say that in a formal review. Sometimes, I've thought maybe a variety of Turkish might be causing that as I have had a sense of that kind of cocoa in other lat-blends. I wish Mr. Pease would chime in and help us out with this.

Mar 1, 2014
After trying Ten Russians, a few good English blends and mixing bulk Latakia on my own, this is definitely the good stuff. I may have liked the bulk Latakia with G.L. Pease Cairo more, but they're both really good.

Ten Russians has more flavour but also smells more like a strong tobacco. Next on my list is Old Ironsides.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I just ordered a 2oz tin and a new Peterson Rhodesian to smoke it in based on the numerous rave reviews it gets here. Looking forward to it.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Mainly a virginia and burley fan, however I have smoked a couple of bowls of gaslight that have really hit the spot.

Complex and great flavor from first light to finish.

I quite enjoyed this blend and only have a little left...

looks like I need to order another tin... or 2 :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.