PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I used to wonder what Old Grand-Dad's pipe tobacco was like. I now know because this is the very same blend under another name. It consists of ribbon cut brown and black cavendish, the former providing the mildest of bread and honey notes, while the latter provides a slight hint of vanilla. The Kentucky bourbon used is a quality liquor, and is mild to medium in flavor with the slightest sour hit. Burns well and even, but perhaps not too cooley for a fast puffer. It should be sipped for full enjoyment as you would any bourbon you'd stock in your home. Not overly sweet, so it does well for a repeat smoke, and the room note is very pleasant.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked Old Grand Dad back in the day. More out of curiosity than any other reason. Once was enough but I remember it being kinder to my tongue than BR's whisky offering.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I just saw some of this today and it made me a bit curious. Not too much into aromatics but I get a hankering once in awhile.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I didn't get a chemical taste from either this or the Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish, which surprised me. I was pre-judging the blends based on the fact that I don't care for Dutch Masters cigars, which was a mistake on my part. In regard to the Whiskey Cavendish, there is a slight sour note which made me wonder for a moment what I was tasting, but then I realized it was not chemicals, it came from the Kentucky bourbon. It's been quite a while since I drank Kentucky bourbon, so I had forgotten that nuance of the flavor.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As a long-time cigar smoker, just the name Dutch Masters is enough that I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole :) That said, back in the day I did try Old Grand Dad tobacco once, because I used to drink the whiskey. Being used to premium blends, I found the tobacco horrid. I recently tried some Sutliffe's Top Shelf, it was ok for a novelty, a couple of bowls, but I have since dumped it in the trash. I'm good with a little black cav as a condiment to give a neutral Va a better room note and a bit of added taste, but those flavor-soaked aros are just not my cup of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.